Icecats redefine team brotherhood

Ashlee Salamon / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Ashlee Salamon
Ashlee Salamon / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Icecat Nation has always been a brotherhood, but with three different sets of siblings on the roster this season, the term takes on an entirely new meaning.

A trio of brothers on the same team is a sight that head coach Leo Golembiewski and his Icecats have not seen before.

“”I’ve played on teams that had brothers, siblings and cousins before,”” said returning senior defenseman Zach Cherney. “”But three sets of brothers with one set of twins is definitely something I’ve never seen before.””

This year’s team will feature the Cherney brothers, Treptow brothers and MacLachlan twins.

Zach Cherney welcomes his 18-year-old brother and freshman forward Spencer from New York. Spencer has been coming to Icecat games for the last three seasons and upon witnessing his brother’s game-winning shootout goal against Arizona State last season, he decided Arizona would be the team for him.

Separated by three and a half years, the two have never played on the same team in any sport until now.

“”To have the chance to play with (Zach) is going to be special,”” Spencer said. “”It’s definitely going to be awesome.””

The pair grew up playing one-on-one basketball, ping-pong and other sports at the Cherney house, and have always been very competitive with one another. Now, they are ecstatic to finally be on the same side.

In addition to the Cherneys, first-year Icecats Andrew and Adam Treptow out of Anchorage, Alaska, will also join the brother brigade.

Andrew Treptow, a sophomore, attended the University of Alaska, Anchorage last year but did not play hockey for the school.

Although the Treptows have played on the same side in the past, they have never seen so many brothers on one squad.

“”It’s crazy.”” Andrew said. “”I’ve been on teams with my brother before, but never, ever three sets of brothers.””

Golembiewski said the Treptows will bring an offensive punch to an Icecats team that lacked firepower last season. Still getting used to the warmer arena and softer ice of Tucson, the twins hope to achieve big things.

The final pair of Icecat brothers are a little harder to tell apart — they are fraternal twins.

After talking to Golembiewski for about ten months, Shane and Sean MacLachlan decided to come to the UA from Canada. The dual citizens enrolled in the ROTC program at the UA, one of the more prestigious programs in the country.

“”We are expecting positive and great things from them, success both in the classroom and on the ice,”” Golembiewski said.

In contrast to Zach and Spencer Cherney, lacing up their skates for the same team has been a daily occurrence for the MacLachlans. Shane and Sean have never played on a separate team. For these nearly identical twins, playing for the same team can come without confusion.

Growing up, one of the twins would wear a large piece of tape on his helmet to help the coaches tell the difference between the two.

“”It was pretty ugly, but it got the job done,”” Shane said. 

The confusion between Sean and Shane didn’t just occur on the ice. As Sean was walking to get his high school diploma Shane’s name was announced. Luckily, Golembiewski is learning the differences.

“”They are a little different in their facial structure and a little different in the way they wear their hair so that helps a little bit,”” Golembiewski said. “”It is easier on the ice because (Sean) shoots right and (Shane) shoots left.””

While they may look very similar, they do have their differences. Shane, younger by 20 minutes, is a well-rounded defenseman while Sean is a power forward.

The twins hope that their recent success will translate to the Icecats.

“”We are coming off a big year but we’re hoping to have an even bigger one this year,”” Sean said.

Coach Golembiewski expects big things from the MacLachlans not just this season, but for the next four seasons to come. “”They want to help us go back to the Icecat winning tradition.””