A Wildcat family migration: Giving those traveling far and wide a taste of the UA and Tucson

Illustration by Isabella Gauvreau

Family Weekend is here and the UA is welcoming students’ families from all over the country with a weekend full of interactive activities and events.

“It’s the little things here and there that give the families coming out of state a feel for what Tucson is like,” said Courtney Olds, a computer science junior and ASUA Family Weekend executive director.

Olds said she created the schedule of events with her team and in collaboration with the UA Parent & Family Programs.

She said they have been trying to include more of the Tucson environment for families by having the farmers market on campus this Friday, having a local Tucson band perform on Saturday and selling Sonoran hotdogs at a barbecue. 

Other departments, clubs and organizations around campus will be having their own Family Weekend events as well. 

“I think Family Weekend is really important, because it gives families an opportunity to come to campus,” Olds said.

Mckenna Schultz, a sophomore studying biochemistry and math, said she is excited to see her family because she is very close with them. 

Schultz and her family are from Yucaipa, California. Her plans this visit are to attend the football game, have dinner and catch up with her family.

RELATED: Barbecues, brunch, bonding: Colleges, programs welcome UA families

“Having the opportunity for my parents to come down is nice,” said Anthony Hlady, a freshman studying physics and astronomy.

Her family is coming from Portland, Oregon and will be here for four days where they will be going to dinner and visiting family in the area. This is the first time she has seen her family since the start of the semester. 

“I’m excited to get my parents to pay for dinner for me,” Hlady said.

Michelle Mendoza, a pre-business sophomore is having her grandmother and parents visit her from Texas. 

“I have a feeling my parents will want to go to one or two events this year because they like being involved with my stuff,” Mendoza said. “They want to be involved as much as possible while they’re here with me, because they don’t get to see me that often.”

Mendoza almost never sees her family during the semester because the flights home can be very expensive during the holidays. 

“I have missed my parents a lot, so I am really looking forward to spending this weekend with them.” Mendoza said.

Families can register for events either online or on-site and get more information about the different events this weekend at their website.

RELATED: Weekend fun for the whole family

Follow Angela Martinez on Twitter.