UA National Society of Collegiate Scholars to host third annual Masquerade Ball

Advertisement for the third annual Masquerade Ball: Night at the Museum: Bringing the Cure to Life, hosted by the National Society of Collegiate Scholars at the UA. The ball, which will be held Friday night at the Arizona History Mueseum, will raise money for children with cancer at Diamond Childrens Center at Banner — Health University Medical Center Tucson.
    The National Society of Collegiate Scholars

Advertisement for the third annual Masquerade Ball: Night at the Museum: Bringing the Cure to Life, hosted by the National Society of Collegiate Scholars at the UA. The ball, which will be held Friday night at the Arizona History Mueseum, will raise money for children with cancer at Diamond Children’s Center at Banner — Health University Medical Center Tucson.

End this week on a high note with a classy event for a good cause. The UA’s National Society of Collegiate Scholars is hosting its third annual Masquerade Ball: Night at The Museum, Bringing the Cure to Life this Friday. The event will be held at the Arizona History Museum, located on East Second Street from 7-11 p.m.

The masquerade ball is a fundraiser for children struggling with cancer, and all proceeds go to the Diamond Children’s Center at Banner — Health University Medical Center Tucson. According to eventbrite.com, NSCS hopes to raise $5,000 at the event.

The money will also go to the chapter’s B+ Hero, 11-year-old Landin Kody, who is celebrating his fifth birthday in remission in August.

“The masquerade ball is centered around his birthday and occurs right before the anniversary of his remission to commemorate his continuing battle with leukemia,” said Rema Hamdan a math senior. “It’s a big party to show him that you’re continuing to make it and you’re continuing to fight that fight.”

The event will have a children’s appearance from 7-9 p.m.

“Our B+ Hero and his entire family will be there at the event,” Hamdan said. “It’s amazing to watch how much they really share their emotions about Landin and his story.”

The ball didn’t forget about its shared day with the Earth either.

“We found the coincidence that we had it on the same day and we were like ‘OK, well it works directly into our theme,’” Hamdan said. The ball will offer ‘little guest favors’ that represent that shared theme with Earth Day ‘bringing the cure to life.’”

All attendees can enjoy unlimited access to the museum’s exhibits, a dessert bar, a DJ and live entertainment including a performance from UA’s own Amplified a cappella group, who you might remember from Spring Fling and many other campus related events. There will also be a silent auction, a live social media feed, a best dressed contest, a desert photo booth and much more.

“We have a two night stay at the [JW] Marriott [Tucson] Starr Pass Resort and Spa and we have paint-balling, we have a crafting basket, a baking basket, we have a movie basket, we have a book basket, we have a Mary Kay basket, so just something for everyone,” said Hamdan of the silent auction. “We’re also raffling off throughout the night. Were raffling off some Outback [Steakhouse] gift cards and other eating establishments. And movie tickets to the [Century 20] El Con movie theater.”

The attire is formal and, of course, don’t forget to wear a mask. For those who don’t already own a masquerade mask, they are available with the purchase of a ticket package. If you do already own a masquerade mask, then congratulations, this is one of the only times in your life where you will have a real occasion to wear it. Take advantage of this rare opportunity.

Tickets and ticket packages may be purchased in advance by contacting nscs.arizona@gmail.com, or by going to the Masquerade Ball website. NSCS will also be on the UA Mall every day until the event date from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., selling tickets and ticket packages. 

A student package purchased in advance for one ticket and one mask is $15 with student ID, $12 for a ticket only or $18 for a general package, which includes one ticket and one mask.

At the door, all prices increase by $2. There is also a couples package and an organization package, and all ticket packages and prices can be found at the website.

You can also make a donation here, and RSVP on the event’s Facebook page.

Whether you feel like spending a night as a sophisticated adult who wears formal attire and gives to charity, or if you’re just mad that your stepmother and stepsisters get to go while you’re stuck at home cleaning up after them yet again, you won’t want to miss this ball. You never know what magic might happen before the clock strikes 11 and you turn back into a millennial.

Follow Casey Aldava on Twitter.