A heartfelt welcome

Welcome to America, No. 300 million. You were born at 4:46 a.m. Tucson time yesterday, and we’re glad to have you.

At a time when Japan, Russia and the European Union are all losing population, America continues to grow, much to the benefit of our economy. In the next 40 years, we’ll add another 100 million to our population figures. During the same period, Japan and the EU will probably lose 15 million.ÿ

And what of it? Does our population growth make us worse off? No, No. 300 million, certainly not. Since 1967, the median income for the average American family has increased 32 percent after adjusting for inflation. Productivity has increased by a whopping 220 percent. All this with 100 million extra people and unemployment essentially flat-lining.ÿ

You see, No. 300 million, America needs you, and the negative hullabaloo surrounding your birth is nonsense. Don’t make much of it. The country of Bangladesh – one-half the size of Arizona – already has 150 million people.ÿ

So welcome! Congratulations! So glad you could make it! And in 2043, our little munchkin, you will be welcoming No. 400 million with open arms.

Opinions are determined by the Wildcat opinions board and written by one of its members. They are Nina Conrad, Lori Foley, Ryan Johnson, Ari Lerner, Nicole Santa Cruz and Matt Stone.