Mailbag: Nov.6

All hail mediocrity!

Just wanted to send a quick thank you and kudos for Anna Swenson’s article on being average. I think it is a great insight you have. As a child who was always told I was special and smarter than most, I have struggled to not be let down when I am just average. 

I learned very early on that trying to be better than everyone was more distancing than it was connecting. I am now very careful with my four year old in letting her know how loved and important she is, but not better or worse than anyone else. Here’s to a fruitful and “”average”” journalism career for you!

Jesse Campbell

Tuition article an important story in the Wildcat

I am writing in response to the article “”Fighting for in-state tuition,”” which was published on Oct. 30, 2009. It is, in my opinion, clear that university tuition has become unreasonably high and this article is evidence that I am not alone. The simple fact that students feel like they have to become residents of Arizona just so they can afford to get an education is appalling. In today’s world, an education is essential to getting a decent job and living a financially-stable life. That being said, it is a wonder that the university and the government are making it so difficult for students to achieve the higher education necessary to accomplish those goals.

I am a member of the Arizona Students’ Association and it is our goal to advocate on behalf of all the students here in the state of Arizona. Part of that includes doing all that we can to ensure that anyone who wishes to acquire secondary education has the opportunity to do so, regardless of financial setbacks. Currently, there is a bill waiting to be presented to Congress called the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2009. If passed, this bill will grant $87 billion in federal financial aid for students. Needless to say, it will make a huge impact on the lives of thousands of students if it is passed. Students, if you are in need of financial aid, write to our congressman and explain to them how they can make a huge difference in your life.

If the university is making it so complicated to achieve in-state tuition so much so that there are students who can’t afford a full load of classes, then it needs to reassess its purpose as a public institution. The primary focus of every university should be to educate those who wish to expand their minds and their opportunities. “”Fighting for in-state tuition”” is an important article because it shed some much needed light on an obstacle that thousands of students at the UA face. It is essential that this issue be publicized because it cannot be resolved if it is ignored. The UA is a wonderful university, and it is my belief that every eligible student deserves the opportunity to study here, regardless of his or her financial situation.

Michal Schatz

Pre-business freshman

Stolen newspaper reporting has destroyed Daily Wildcat’s name

I find the Arizona Daily Wildcat’s coverage about the “”stolen papers case”” to be wrong and nearly libelous.

I agree that whoever took the news committed a wrong, and did abridge the First Amendment. The Arizona Daily Wildcat and the university as a whole is completely justified in being angry at this. It is a completely different manner, however, to continuously libel and otherwise make judgment against the fraternity, the fraternity members and the University of Arizona Police Department.

The fraternity and fraternity members have yet to be found guilty of a crime. If these fraternity members were instead arrested for doing something the Daily Wildcat was for, the paper would be claiming the fraternity members are “”innocent until proven guilty.”” This can be seen with the recent chalker events. The Wildcat was all for defending the chalkers writing on buildings even though, by the rules, they were in the wrong.

To also accuse the UAPD of being negligent is a very strong charge. Where is your proof? How is the UAPD negligent in not pursuing a case that has little evidence to start with? The UAPD has stated that the evidence they had was only a piece of homework with names on it. What does the Wildcat want the UAPD to do? Enter into those students’ rooms and start searching for evidence? What about the rights of the fraternity members to no unreasonable search and seizures?

Is the Wildcat advocating infringing on one constitutional right to protect another?

Finally, has the Wildcat considered that the involvement of the newspaper and its reporters “”playing detective”” may have compromised additional evidence that the UAPD may have obtained? Why is the Wildcat not asking law students and professors about the legalities of using contaminated evidence for prosecution?

In conclusion, I find the Daily Wildcat has severely damaged its reputation by not reporting the news fairly and honestly. I believe that the biased reporting of this event is self evident, and should cause concern to the readers of the Wildcat. If we cannot trust the Wildcat to have fair and honest assessments of the facts, what good is the newspaper other than a bulletin board for the next fad at the university? I guess the old quote is right, “”Never pick a fight with people that buy ink by the barrel and paper by the ton.””

Robert Rosinski

Undeclared sophomore