Mailbag

UA intramurals program sagging

Over the last few years, I have played a wide variety of intramural sports for a large number of teams. I truly enjoy playing the sports I’ve always loved, learning new ones and teaching friends how to play in a laid-back environment. There have, however, been a number of very bothersome issues that arise every year, seemingly without fail. Organizationally, Arizona Intramurals is in a sad state. From schedule and rule changes not getting to team captains, to their new Web site (www.arizonaintramurals.com) being inaccessible, things are not very reassuring. There is also a fairly consistent problem with officiating, in that officials oftentimes do not fully understand the rules of the game they are overseeing, or they fold the moment a call is contested. Intramurals should be enjoyed as an integral part of campus life, and that is what I want for the program, myself and others. It is difficult to verbalize what one sees the problems to be without being labeled “”too serious”” or a “”sore loser,”” but I believe that through widespread and constructive letters, we can accomplish plenty. I have been writing letters sharing my concerns with the Intramurals Office for some time now, and I write this to ask you for your support as well. This program has much room to improve, and I believe that it is time it did. If you share the same sentiments, please write to the Intramurals Office and let your concerns be known.

Quin Hoxie
    electrical engineering junior