Baseball stays alive

After dropping its opening game of the NCAA Regional in College Station, Texas, the Arizona baseball team has caught fire. 

The Wildcats were shut out by Seton Hall 4-0 in Friday’s regional opener, but won their last two games while facing elimination to advance to the regional championship. 

Arizona will have to defeat host Texas A&M in consecutive games, the first of which will be held at 4:35 p.m. 

Arizona ace Kurt Heyer threw 6.2 innings against Seton Hall on Friday, allowing seven hits and four runs. The bullpen combined to pitch the next 2.1 innings without allowing a run, and allowing only one hit. 

But the Arizona bats awakened Saturday against Wright State behind Kyle Simon’s complete-game, four-hit shutout. Simon struck out five without allowing a walk. 

The Wildcats pounded out 13 runs on 15 hits, but were also aided by Wright State’s season-high six errors. 

On Sunday morning, Arizona, facing elimination once again in the first game of a potential double header, took the rematch against Seton Hall, 6-0. 

Freshman Konner Wade got the start on the mound, throwing seven scoreless innings, allowing three hits and three walks while striking out two. 

Bryce Bandilla pitched the final two innings for Arizona, allowing one hit while walking two and not allowing a run.

First baseman Cole Frenzel led the Wildcat offense, driving in three runs while going 1-for-4 at the plate. 

Sophomore Tyler Hale will get the start on the mound against Texas A&M tonight. 

Should Arizona win tonight’s game against Texas A&M, it will square off against the Aggies again on Monday at 4:35 p.m.