Movie Review

After playing a smoldering temptress in “”Match Point”” and a journalist with all the right angles in “”Scoop,”” Scarlett Johansson has teamed up with writer/director/comedian Woody Allen once again in “”Vicky Christina Barcelona,”” a romantic comedy that combines Allen’s quirky sense of humor with Scarlett’s huge talent.

As the title suggests, the film follows two girlfriends spending a summer in Barcelona. Both women share similar feelings on art and beauty, though their opinions on love differ drastically. Vicky (Rebecca Hall) feels love should be approached practically and traditionally; Christina (Scarlett Johansson) is more impulsive and flexible, in the yoga or gymnastics sort of way.

The ladies’ opinions become apparent when they are accosted in a restaurant by Juan Antonio (Javier Bardem), a brooding artist and lothario who invites them to his hometown for a spontaneous weekend excursion that will hopefully end in love-making.

Because this is a romantic comedy, Antonio gets his wish and beds the capricious Christina. But because this is a Woody Allen movie, things don’t remain so simple – the prudish Vicky falls for Antonio too. This love triangle quickly becomes a twisted love rhombus when Vicky’s fiancée from the states comes to visit. Later still, Juan Antonio’s violent ex, Maria Elena (a stunningly psychotic Penelope Cruz), moves in with Antonio, resulting in a romantic thrill-ride in which everyone in the film gets action except the narrator.

Ultimately, this movie is clever, goofy and entertaining. Allen’s old-school humor is abundant as the cast plays with sexuality and ethics. Bardem shows us he can play a passionate womanizer as well as a psychotic killer, Cruz plays a wonderful head-case and Johansson, as always, delivers a memorable performance.

Despite the underwhelming final act, “”Vicky Christina Barcelona”” makes a great date movie, and if you’re having trouble finding a date, worry not because Johansson will surely keep you entertained.