Police Beat: October 1

Risky business

A female student received a student diversion for minor in possession of alcohol in the body on Sept. 19.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer noticed a female individual walking westbound around 12:30 a.m. She appeared to be holding her side in pain, had a noticeable sway and was stumbling while walking down the street.

The officer made a U-turn so he could conduct a welfare check on the individual. Upon contact with the woman, the officer asked if she was in pain or needed medical attention. She said she did not and that she was fine.

The officer then explained to the female student he stopped her because she appeared to be in pain. The officer then asked for identification.

She provided a valid driver’s license and said she was a university student who lived off campus. The officer asked her if she had been drinking that evening, and she responded that she had been at a house party earlier that evening.

The female was wearing an oversized white button-up shirt, which the officer noted was similar among many of the women walking around campus. When asked about it, she responded that she had been at a “Risky Business” party at a fraternity, the address and name of which she could not recall.

The officer informed the woman she was going to be diverted for underage drinking. The officer explained the process to her, and said she understood. The officer gave her a courtesy ride to her off-campus apartment, and a UA Diversion Program form was filled out and mailed to the Dean of Students Office.

Frogger, anyone?

Two female students were issued student diversions for minor with spiritous liquor in body on Sept. 19 after they ran through the street without utilizing the crosswalk and were almost struck by an oncoming vehicle.

A UAPD officer saw a group of women exit a fraternity around 1 a.m. The officer then saw a vehicle go through an intersection when it made an abrupt stop.

Following the abrupt stop, the officer saw three women laughing and shouting as they ran across the road. The officer followed them when he saw them approach him. The officer asked if they were aware they had almost been struck by an oncoming vehicle, and they responded with, “He almost hit us,” and laughed.

The officer noted all the women had red, watery eyes and a strong scent of intoxicants coming from their breaths. When asked where they had been drinking at, they all pointed at the fraternity. They were wearing large, white button-up shirts, similar to the group that the officer had seen leaving the fraternity.

The officer asked how old they were, and they all said they were underage. When asked for identification, they said they had none. When the officer began asking for their names and dates of birth, one of the women walked away and would not return when asked to. The other two could not identify her.

Additional officers in the area attempted to locate her, but couldn’t. The other two women verbally identified themselves.
The officer explained they were going to be issued student diversions through the Dean of Students Office, and they said they understood.