FINAL: Arizona defeats FDU 100-50

Arizona’s No. 5 ranked men’s basketball team picked up right where it left off in the second half of the Wildcats’ 100-50 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson University Monday night at McKale Center in the first round of the NIT Season Tip-Off.

The UA quickly extended its lead over the Knights to 34 points with only three minutes drained from the second period. With 12:55 remaining, Arizona enjoyed a 40-point advantage, leading 75-30.

With 10:20 left on the clock, the Wildcats continued to dictate the pace of the game, leading by 47. At the final media time out, the UA found itself still up by 45.

Highly touted freshman Aaron Gordon experienced his first bout with adversity tonight after exceeding expectations in his first three starts. While Gordon seemed a bit deflated tonight, he still managed to comprise his third collegiate double-double performance in four games. Gordon, a 6-foot-9, 220-pound power forward compiled 10 points, 10 rebounds and an assist over 25 minutes.

Sophomores Gabe York and Kaleb Tarczewski represented key contributors in the UA’s victory, and combined, accounted for 30 of the team’s 100 points.

York came out on fire after experiencing an off game against San Diego State last week. The West Covina, Calif. native added 11 points and a rebound over the second half and led the team with 20 points to go along with two rebounds. Tarczewski contributed with 10 points, eight rebounds, three blocks and an assist.

Junior T.J. McConnell led the team with nine of its 17 assists. He added four points, four rebounds, two steals, and a block in his fourth start of the year.

Junior shooting guard Nick Johnson represented one of six Arizona players who compiled double-digit performances on the night. After putting up eight points, three rebounds, and two blocks in the first half, Johnson continued to step it up as a team leader and added eight points and a block in the first 3:49 of the second period. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound guard finished his performance with 16 points, three rebounds, three blocks, and two steals overall.

The last time the Wildcats scored 100 points was in December 2011 against Bryant.