Weekend Previews

Women’s hoops returns home to play NC State Friday

Thanks to a game against North Carolina State, the Arizona women’s basketball team will stay at home for the Thanksgiving break.

The Wildcats (2-2) host the Wolfpack (3-1) Friday and then travel to Texas the day after for a two-game road trip starting Sunday at Texas El-Paso (3-0) at 7 p.m.

“”North Carolina State is a real good team from the ACC,”” UA head coach Joan Bonvicini said. “”We’ve already played Maryland, so we’ve played some good teams already. We can compete, but we have to finish games better. I thought we did a good job Sunday (against TCU), but we need to start better and just improve right from the get-go.””

On the injury front, newcomer center Beatrice Bofia has yet to practice since she sprained her knee Nov. 1 in the annual Red-Blue Game.

“”She’s doing better,”” Bonvicini said. “”We’ll see if she’s allowed to do anything (today), but she hasn’t practiced yet. She’s real anxious to get out there, but we’ll only do what the trainer says she can do.””

– Mike Ritter

Volleyball looks for revenge against Devils in season finale

After a trying season, the Arizona volleyball team is preparing for its season-ending match against ASU Friday at 7 p.m.

The Sun Devils are counting on a win for a chance to qualify for the NCAA Tournament, while Arizona is looking to finish its season on a positive note.

“”There is a lot on the line for (ASU),”” UA head coach Dave Rubio said. “”I am sure they are feeling like if they beat us, they have a shot at the postseason, and obviously if they don’t, they have no chance.””

Both the Wildcats (13-16, 4-13 Pacific 10 Conference) and the Sun Devils (14-14, 6-11) enter after winning three of four contests, with their only losses coming to the defending national champion, No. 2 Washington. In the last meeting between the two schools, ASU handed Arizona a loss in the Pac-10 Conference opener after the Wildcats posted what Rubio called nine “”uncharacteristic”” service errors.

The Wildcats had won five in a row against the Sun Devils before their loss Sept. 22 in McKale Center.

But the events earlier in the season mean nothing to Arizona, as many players said they are confident going into the rematch.

“”We have progressed so much since the conference opener, and I think we will be much more prepared this time around,”” said freshman outside hitter Whitney Dosty.

– Ari Wasserman