Police Beat: Feb. 8

Knock knock, who’s there?

Four male students were making noise outside of Likins Hall while dorm staff members were trying to have a meeting in one of the hall’s rooms on Wednesday night. One of the students was heavily intoxicated. He started banging on the door of the meeting room saying, “I want to come in, let me in!” The other students tried to pull him away, but he refused and started banging on the door again.

A resident assistant called the police, and University of Arizona Police Department officers were able to locate the men. The three other students were told to leave and go back to their rooms. The man who had been banging on the door was pulled aside by the officers and asked if he had been drinking. The officers could smell alcohol on his breath. His eyes were bloodshot and he tilted when he walked. The man told officers, “I don’t want to talk to you, I want to talk with my lawyer. I am not answering any questions,” while slurring his speech.

One of the officers asked for the man’s name, but he could not remember his name or his birthday. He was arrested and taken to Pima County Jail for minor in possession of alcohol in body and public disturbance.

Sticky fingers

UAPD officers went to the Student Recreation Center, where a student reported that her jewelry and a $20 bill had been stolen from her bag on Sunday at 11:30 a.m. The officers viewed the center’s security tapes, and saw that a non-UA student had sneaked into the center, stolen items from the woman’s locker room and sneaked out the back door by the pool.

On the same day, another student called UAPD about a missing $20 bill from her purse at the Bear Down Gymnasium at 2:30. One witness said he or she saw the suspect enter the Hopi Lodge Residence Hall. Officers went to the dorm and located the suspect in the hallway. The non-student saw the officers and started walking in the opposite direction. Officers were able to stop her.

The woman had the jewelry and money in her pockets. She also had a pink camera, which she had just stolen from the dorm. The woman said the items were hers, and that the footage was of her friends and not of her. She then told the officers that a door to one of the dorm rooms was open, and she had walked in and started grabbing items. She said she was unaware that this constituted theft.

Officers asked RAs to look at the pictures on the camera to identify its owner. The camera, money and jewelry were successfully returned to their owners. The suspect was arrested for second-degree burglary and criminal trespassing. All of the victims said they wanted to press charges against her.