Arizona volleyball’s Snuka talks UA transition

Alexander+Plaumann%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0APenina+Snuka+a+freshman+setter+for+the+UA+volleyball+team+practices+in+the+McKale+Center+on+Wednesday.+
Alexander Plaumann
Alexander Plaumann/ The Daily Wildcat Penina Snuka a freshman setter for the UA volleyball team practices in the McKale Center on Wednesday.

The Arizona indoor volleyball team hosts UCLA and No. 1 USC this weekend.

The Wildcats (13-5, 3-3 Pac-12) will play UCLA Friday at 6 p.m. and take on USC on Sunday at 2:30 p.m.

The UCLA match is the annual “Dig Pink” event used to raise breast cancer awareness.

UCLA (10-6, 1-5 Pac-12) had a five-match losing streak until it defeated Oregon State last weekend.

USC (16-1, 6-0 Pac-12) has a 10-match winning streak and has only lost to San Diego.

Freshman setter Penina Snuka answered some questions before taking on the two Los Angeles schools.

Daily Wildcat: As a freshman, what has been challenging for you, transferring from high school to college?

Snuka: Probably the most challenging thing for me is the pace of the game, as far as volleyball goes. And school-wise is just being on top of my school work. It was a little bit easier for me in high school, and I got to college and I have volleyball, schoolwork and I guess somewhat of a social life — not really.

What is the hardest part about being a setter?

Well, for me is setting in all rotations because I’m used to setting and hitting. So just being a full-time setter and just … adjusting to that. I played outside hitter in high school.

If you could go on vacation with any coach from the UA, who would it be?

I’d probably go with Steve Walker, the sand volleyball coach. Just because of his knowledge of the game, and I’m sure he would be a cool guy to be around.

Are you the type of person to talk or listen?

I guess it just depends on the situation. If talking needs to be done, then I feel like I can step out and do that, but I think I feel more like a listener. I can take in more than I can say.

I know that Dwayne Johnson, “The Rock,” is your uncle. Which one of his films is your favorite?

Probably “The Game Plan”; I love “The Game Plan.” It’s a good, nice family movie.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal