Calif. shooting suspect sought to settle score

OAKLAND, Calif. — The police dispatcher’s voice is calm and measured. The reporting party, she says, “is advising shots are coming from inside the building. People are running out screaming. … There’s a female, bleeding, she’s down on the ground, facedown on the concrete and bleeding.”

When it was over, six students and a secretary at a small Christian college were shot to death, allegedly at the hands of a 43-year-old South Korean national who had once been a nursing student there.

On Tuesday, a portrait began to emerge of a troubled man who apparently returned to Oikos University to settle a score.

One L. Goh had been expelled from Oikos this year “for behavioral problems, anger management,” Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan told reporters Tuesday. Goh had been teased for his broken English, and he felt bullied and angry, Jordan said.

He arrived at the campus in an industrial section of East Oakland on Monday morning looking for a certain administrator, officials said, but when he couldn’t find her, he grabbed a secretary and headed to a classroom. He allegedly ordered the students inside to line up against the wall. When some refused, he opened fire, officials said. He had time during the rampage, authorities believe, to reload and continue shooting.

Six women and one man were killed Monday. They ranged in age from 21 to 40 and were from South Korea, Nigeria, Nepal and the Philippines, largely immigrant students learning English, nursing, theology and Asian medicine.

“We don’t believe that any of the victims were the ones that teased him,” Jordan said. “We believed he stopped (shooting) because people were able to use the phone. He could have heard people calling 911.”

Goh had yet to be charged Tuesday afternoon. He was scheduled to appear in court Wednesday.

Police say Goh purchased the handgun legally in California this year. After leaving the carnage behind, authorities believe, he headed to Martin Luther King Jr. Regional Shoreline near Oakland International Airport and tossed the gun into the water.

His next stop, authorities say, was a Safeway at the Alameda South Shore Center, a mall about five miles from Oikos University. Goh went to the grocery store sometime in late morning or early afternoon, sources at the mall said.

“He tripped and fell coming out the door,” said one source, who requested that her name not be used because police were investigating. “A security officer came over to make sure he was OK, and the guy turned emotional and broke down and asked the security guy to call the Police Department.”

Alameda police officers detained Goh until Oakland officers could retrieve him.