Letters from Mallory Hawkins

So here we are, finally meeting. In my early college days of homesickness, it seemed like you couldn’t come soon enough. Once I realized I belonged here, I knew you would come too soon.

Now that you are here, I feel completely unprepared. The number of stories I have worth telling that start with the phrase “”When I was in college … “” is not nearly where I would like it to be. It seems as though I have a lot of ground to cover in the next 16 weeks or so. Let’s hope senioritis doesn’t get in the way of some new semester’s resolutions.

1. Sample every happy hour within a five-mile radius of the campus. I would be doing a disservice to the heavens if I didn’t. Happy hour is clearly a gift from above to poor college students, and I am not one to turn down gifts.

2. Scope out the Tucson bar scene in order to find the best karaoke hotspot Tucson has to offer. Although I have never tried to sing karaoke before, I am fairly confident this is the year I will win a karaoke competition. Watch out, Beyoncé!

3. On a related note, it is imperative that I win a dance competition at Cactus Moon.

Don’t worry. I have been learning plenty of new moves, thanks to “”Just Dance 2″” on the Wii.

4. Volunteer at a soup kitchen at least once a month. I think it would be a nice change of pace to have college stories that didn’t end with “”it was the time of my life”” but rather “”I helped change someone else’s life.””

5. Because I don’t have a ZonaZoo pass nor do I bank with Wells Fargo, this next one might be a little tricky, but I have always wanted to win the competition held during sporting events where a random audience member holding his Wells Fargo bank card is chosen to win some cash money.

6. Be a student at the UA when one of our sports teams wins a national title. I am not too worried about this one because I am fairly confident that our softball team will make this happen for me this year. Bear down!

7. Be more spontaneous. As you can tell from this list, I tend to plan things out in order to have a good amount of control over my life. With adulthood on the horizon, I am now seeing I have the rest of my existence to live by the rules and to allow a schedule to dictate my life. No stories come out of living monotonously.

As you see, spring semester, I have high hopes for you. You are my last hope for putting the finishing touches on my college memories, so please don’t let me down.

— Mallory Hawkins is a communication senior. She can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.