Softball has second consecutive weekend shortened by weather

Tim Glass
Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA softball team plays an exhibition game against Yavapai College, October 3, 2010. (Photo by Tim Glass)

Of the eight games the Arizona softball team was scheduled to play over the course of spring break, it was only able to play two of them because of weather conditions.

All three games against Baylor in Waco, Texas, a weekend ago and the Wildcats’ final three games of the Judi Garman Classic in Fullerton, Calif., were all canceled. Arizona was only able to play two games against UC Davis and Iowa, both victories, on Friday.

“We’ve continued to play the way we’ve been playing, we’ve been on an upswing,” head coach Mike Candrea said. “This is a big week ahead of us.”

Both games were played on the first day of the Classic were blowouts, as the softball team run-ruled UC Davis 8-0 in six innings, behind a five-RBI performance from freshman shortstop Shelby Pendley, who also ended the game with a walk-off home run in the sixth.

Senior Jessica Spigner says the score was a byproduct of uncertainty.

“We scored some runs early which is very important, because we just weren’t sure how many games we were going to be able to get in,” Spigner said. “We had to make the most of our opportunities.”

The UC Davis game was the sixth consecutive shutout for Arizona, and its ninth in 11 games. Pitcher Shelby Babcock earned the win for the Wildcats, allowing just three hits and improving her record to 8-4 on the season.

In the Iowa game, the Wildcats were able to take advantage of three Hawkeye mishaps, which allowed them to score three unanswered runs on their way to a 6-1 win. All-American pitcher Kenzie Fowler was able to remain undefeated on the season, improving her record to 8-0 behind a three-hit, nine-strikeout performance.

The rest of the games Arizona was scheduled to play against BYU, Louisiana-Lafayette and DePaul were canceled, which has a major effect on the way the team hits, Candrea said.

“When you’re not getting a lot of game time, the timing gets off a little bit,” he said. “My biggest concern is that we get enough swings and some at-bats and get comfortable and confident at the plate.”