The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

95° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


Fire breaks out inside University Blvd. restaurant late Sunday night

Courtesy of Ricardo Maciel KababeQue on Univeristy Blv. gets cleaned up after a fire broke out Sunday evening at 9:45.

A fire broke out in the kitchen of Kababeque Indian Grill on University Boulevard late Sunday night.

The fire started at approximately 9:45 p.m. in the restaurant, which has been undergoing remodeling recently. Construction workers were inside the restaurant when the fire broke out.

“Something was left on on one of the stoves,” said Jack Horton, one of the construction workers.

Horton and two workers were part of a night construction crew that had begun renovation work inside the restaurant at around 9 p.m. Horton said they were putting up plastic inside when the fire broke out towards the back of the restaurant in the kitchen area.

“We tried to put it out with the fire extinguishers,” Horton said. “We thought we had it out but the fire started back up again and we had to call the police department because it got so smoky in there we couldn’t see anything.”

Horton said none of the construction workers were injured by the fire.

Eat-a-Pita, the restaurant next door to Kababeque, was forced to evacuate after smoke began filling up inside, according to Shelby Gormsen, an employee at Eat-a-Pita.

“At 9:50 p.m. [the construction workers] came and told us that there was a fire next door,” Gormsen said, “and that’s when all the smoke started coming in through here.”

Emergency services from the Tucson Fire Department, the Tucson Police Department and the University of Arizona Police Department responded to the incident and the fire was eventually extinguished. Several emergency vehicles closed off traffic on the block of University Boulevard between Euclid Avenue and Tyndall Avenue in front of Kababeque until approximately 10:50 p.m.

Tucson Fire Department’s Public Information Officer could not be reached for comment on the possible cause of the fire.

More to Discover
Activate Search