UA’s NFL prospects set for pro day

The Arizona football progran will host its NFL Pro Day this morning for testing and evaluation of potential Wildcats that are no longer on the team in preparation for the 2012 NFL Draft. NFL team scouts, coaches and player personnel are among those expected to be in attendance.

At the Pro Day, the participants will be measured for height, weight and reach, participate in six drills (vertical jump, broad jump, pro shuttle, 3-cone, 60-yard shuttle and 225-pound bench press), a 40-yard dash and will conclude by performing individual positional workouts.

Some former Arizona players expected to participate include quarterback Nick Foles, wide receiver Juron Criner and cornerback Trevin Wade, all of whom participated in the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis a few weeks ago.

Running back Keola Antolin, linebackers Derek Earls and Paul Vassallo and defensive back Rob Golden are among the other former Wildcats expected to participate.

For the three players who participated in the NFL combine, the Pro Day will be an opportunity to improve upon their testing numbers and performance in positional drills. Last year, former Arizona defensive end Brooks Reed improved his draft stock after a solid Pro Day performance and was eventually drafted in the second round by the Houston Texans.

Foles, Arizona’s all-time leading passer with more than 10,000 yards, struggled a bit at the combine. After measuring out at 6-foot-5, 243 pounds — making him the second-tallest quarterback at the combine behind ASU’s Brock Osweiler — Foles ran a quarterback combine-worst 5.14

40-yard dash and had a 30.5 inch vertical jump. According to reports by ESPN’s Mike Sando, Foles particularly struggled on post-corner routes in the drills.

Criner, the UA’s all-time leader in touchdown catches, ran just a 4.68. He did well in other areas though, putting up 17 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press and recording a 38-inch vertical leap. He also had the largest hands at the combine, measuring 10.5 inches.

Wade, who told the Daily Wildcat prior to the combine that he wanted to run a 4.5 40-yard dash, only ended up running a 4.59, which was good for the 19th best time among 34 cornerbacks. Wade put up 18 reps on the bench press and had a 34.5-inch vertical jump.