Second Street west of Cherry Avenue to see completion by Saturday

Kevin Brost
Kyle Wasson / Arizona Daily Wildcat Students and drivers must work around the latest construction next to the Second Street Garage, near Mountain Avenue.

The span of Second Street between Highland and Cherry avenues opened Saturday following months of streetcar construction, according to Jesse Gutierrez, the project’s construction manager.

Gutierrez said he is working with the university to decide how they will work on the final section of Second Street from the Second Street Parking Garage to Mountain Avenue. The contractor will begin closing down and working on the final section of Second Street on Sept. 24, Gutierrez added.

“We know students really needed and wanted that open as soon as possible so … we’re happy to be done with that section,” he said.

Construction for the streetcar requires underground utility work before the contractor is able to lay tracks and pour concrete. Gutierrez said the final section of Second Street shouldn’t take as long because the underground work in that section has already been done.

Dalton Hirst, an astronomy senior, said having to walk around fences to cross the street and get to class has been frustrating, so Having some crosswalks between fences will be nice.

Access to the traffic circle north of the Student Union Memorial Center will be maintained throughout construction, but the intersection at Mountain Avenue and Second Street will be closed to lay tracks and pour concrete.

Alyssa Reilly, a journalism senior, said keeping fences up is inconvenient regardless of the fact that they’ve opened designated crosswalks.

“I’m not sure why they haven’t taken [the fences] down yet,” Reilly said. “I have to walk around it and take the long way, which is no fun.”

According to Gutierrez, the fences help the contractor move equipment through while continuing to work on the street. Although Second Street will be open to traffic, foundation poles and streetcar stops still need to be installed and built.

The streetcar is set to open to the public in late 2013 and will run from Broadway Boulevard west of Interstate 10 to the University of Arizona Medical Center — Main Campus. Hirst said he believes the streetcar will benefit many students once it’s running.

“I think it will be really cool for students that don’t have cars,” he said.