Police Beat

Police find marijuana in prescription pill bottle

A man was cited and released on charges of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia Nov. 24 at 10:55 p.m.

Police responded to Navajo Residence Hall for a call about the smell of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. When they arrived, they detected the faint odor of marijuana coming from the room they had been directed to.

Police knocked on the door and a man answered. He told them they could enter the room. They noted that the smell of marijuana was stronger in the room.

The man told officers he did not have any marijuana in his room and police could search it if they wanted. The officers found a pill bottle with the man’s name and a prescription on the outside. Inside the pill bottle, there was a green leafy substance that smelled like marijuana. The man then told officers he had more marijuana in the room.

He said if they looked inside the back corner of his closet, they would find a plastic baggie containing more marijuana. He also told officers there was a package of Swisher Sweets Cigarillos located in his desk that he used to make “”blunts”” for smoking marijuana. Police did not find any other drugs or paraphernalia in the man’s room.

He was cited and released on charges of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. The items were confiscated. He was also referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Man buys and loses two sweaters, steals third

A man was cited and released on charges of shoplifting Nov. 24 at 4:24 p.m.

Police were called to the UofA Bookstore for a shoplifter in custody. When they arrived, they spoke with an employee from loss prevention.

The employee told them that they had caught a man on camera attempting to steal a sweater. He told police the man walked around the store before stopping in the clothing section. The man then placed a sweater into his backpack and took the price tag off of it. The employee said he made contact with the man outside the store when he attempted to leave.

Police then spoke to the man. He said he “”walked in and took the sweater.”” He admitted he went to the bookstore with the intention of stealing a sweater. He told police he had bought two sweaters that semester but lost them both. He wanted another one but said he wasted enough money in the past and decided to take one instead.

The man was cited and released on charges of shoplifting and referred to the Dean of Students Office. The total cost of the merchandise was $51.88.

Fraternity members admit to water balloon antics

Two men were diverted for disorderly conduct Nov. 24 at 12:35 p.m.

Police responded to a call on East Second Street in reference to water balloons being thrown from a room of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house.

The man who called police said he was standing on the south side of Second Street when he was almost hit by a water balloon. He said he looked up and saw three men on the roof of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house. He watched the men load a “”water balloon launcher”” and launch another balloon in his direction, almost hitting a woman who was walking through the area. He gave the police descriptions of the men.

Police then went to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house and made contact with two men who matched the descriptions given by the man who had almost been struck. Police told the men they had been contacted because water balloons were being thrown off the roof.

The men admitted to launching balloons off of the room but said they only shot them toward the sororities. Officers informed them that there was a witness who saw them shooting the balloons, and they almost hit two people. The men apologized and said they were not trying to hurt anyone.

The men were referred to the Dean of Students Office for disorderly conduct.

‘I peed on yur bed,’ reads threatening text
    Police responded to Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall on Nov. 24 at 11:47 a.m. in reference to harassing and threatening messages a man was receiving from his former roommate.

Police met with the man who said he lived with his former roommate from the beginning of the semester until Nov. 23, when he was relocated to a new dorm after his roommate sent him threatening text messages.

The man told officers the text messages started Oct. 27 and showed them the various messages that were sent to him, including “”I peed on yur bed”” and, “”I’m drunk if yur in the rm by thew time I com home im gonnsa beat ur faggot ass up so don’t come back to the rm u fucking faggot.””

The man said he sent his former roommate a text message telling him, “”Don’t talk to me.””

Police asked the man if he had sent any messages to provoke his former roommate, and the man said his friend sent his former roommate a message using his phone saying he would rip out the former roommate’s intestines and feed them back to him, “”skull fuck”” him and rip off his nails.

He did not want to press charges, but officers informed him that domestic violence statutes applied, and he may not have a choice.

Officers attempted to locate the former roommate, but he was not in his room. They were unable to contact him by telephone.

The Dean of Students Office was notified, and told officers that they intended to meet with the former roommate about the incident. Police asked that they be informed of when the meeting would be so they could talk to him.