FINAL: Arizona loses to No. 16 Washington 31-13

Cole Malham

Cole Malham/The Daily Wildcat

UA running back Ka’Deem Carey runs the ball against Washington on Saturday.

Washington beat Arizona 31-13 in the rain to open Pac-12 play.

The Wildcats’ (3-1, 0-1 Pac-12) winning streak came to an end in Seattle as senior quarterback B.J. Denker was 14-for-35 passing, with 119 yards and two interceptions and a 57.1 passer rating. Denker ran for 56 yards on 11 carries in his first true test.

Down 25-13 with 7:36 left and driving down the field, Denker threw a costly interception at the UW 41-yard line. Washington (4-0, 1-0) ran out some clock and then scored a touchdown to ice it.

Junior running back Ka’Deem Carey ran for 132 yards and a touchdown on 30 carries. It was the seventh straight 100-yard game for Carey and the most carries in his career.

Washington running back Bishop Sankey carried the ball for a UW record 40 times and ran for 161 yards.

The Wildcats trailed just 11-6 at the half, but Washington started the half with a 95-yard, 14-play drive that resulted in a touchdown.

Arizona responded with a seven-yard touchdown run by Denker to make it 18-13.

The Huskies scored a touchdown right after that, thanks in small part to a 49-yard completion.
UW gained 409 yards in the win, compared to Arizona’s 318, spoiling the Wildcats’ defense’s promising start. The Huskies won the turnover battle two to one.

Washington quarterback Keith Price passed for 165 yards, going 14-for-25, with a 129.8 passer rating.

In the first half, Washington scored first, following a Denker interception. Price threw a touchdown pass, but the extra point attempt failed when a bad snap squirted past the holder.

The Huskies also kicked a 42-yard field goal.

Washington scored a safety late in the first quarter when the ball slipped threw the hands of sophomore punter Drew Riggleman and through the back of the end zone. Washington returned the free kick 49 yards.

The Wildcats scored a touchdown with four seconds to go in the first half on a three-yard run by Carey after a 33-yard run by Denker on fourth down. The Wildcats missed the extra point though.
Freshman quarterback Javelle Allen relieved Denker late in the game, throwing an incompletion on his sole pass and rushing twice for 10 yards.

— Follow James Kelley @JamesKelley520