Ballot Proposals

ASA Fee – Yes

As a matter of principle, we hate endorsing any new student fee. But the logic behind the Arizona Students Association’s proposed $1 fee increase is undeniably clear: Support for student lobbying is a great investment. The last fee increase for ASA, the student-run group responsible for lobbying higher-education policymakers in Arizona and fighting to keep tuition low, came 10 years ago, when the $1 fee was first introduced. A small fee boost this year will allow ASA to put money where it’s needed most. ASA plans to triple its budget for fighting tuition increases and registering student voters, and sizably increase the amount spent on financial aid, textbook prices and lobbying in Washington, D.C. Best of all, those students seriously opposed to the fee – for financial or political reasons – can opt out and receive a refund. But as long as ASA continues to save students more than $2 a year, your two bucks is money well spent.

KAMP Student Radio – Yes

Over the past two decades, KAMP Student Radio has been a unique and underrated component of campus culture at the UA. But unless students vote “”yes”” to renew the $1 student fee that funds KAMP (which, like ASA’s proposal, is fully refundable if you really, really want your dollar back), all UA students will hear Thursday is static. KAMP gives UA students valuable broadcasting experience and detailed knowledge of the technology involved in media production. The station provides a refreshing, eclectic mix of independent artists unavailable anywhere else on Tucson’s airwaves, presented by student DJs with distinct personalities. Most importantly, like the Daily Wildcat, KAMP is an independent, unbiased voice in campus dialogue. Silencing KAMP would be a huge loss for the UA – so we support the re-approval of its $1 fee.