Former Texas Tech coach visits Tucson

Kevin Brost
Kevin Brost / Arizona Daily Wildcat Mike Leach, former head football coach of Texas Tech, speaks to law students at the James E. Rogers College of Law on November 2, 2011.

With the Arizona football team’s opening at head coach for next season, speculation of names to fill that void have ran wild. Former Texas Tech head football coach Mike Leach was amongst a shortlist of names thrown around in the rumor mill.

On Tuesday, Leach visited Tucson to promote the Casino Del Sol College All-Star Game. He also spoke to University of Arizona law students and attended a signing for his book entitled “Swing Your Sword.”

According to Leach, he has not received any phone calls about the job opening, and it goes along with athletic director Greg Byrne’s requirements that the search be completely private.

“I just know it’s open,” Leach told the Daily Wildcat Tuesday.

Leach said he has not gotten a phone call from Byrne, but he is intrigued by the prospect of becoming Arizona’s head football coach.

“I think anybody would think it’s a desirable job,” Leach said.

At Texas Tech, Leach’s offenses were known for being heavily geared toward passing, and Arizona’s current offense has a connection to the Red Raiders Air Raid offenses — former UA offensive coordinator Sonny Dykes brought the offense over from Texas Tech. As for Arizona’s passing game, Leach was sure to point out how impressed he was with senior quarterback Nick Foles.

“He’s really good,” Leach said. “I remember him since high school. Probably the most underrated QB in the country. I think he’s a pro prospect.”

Leach was fired from Texas Tech in 2009 after allegations of mistreating a former player, and at the moment he is not coaching. But he is certainly keeping busy.

He is a part of a radio show on Sirius satellite radio.
“I’m on the radio every day. Usually I’ll bring (the show) with me when I travel but I can’t do it today and I can’t do it tomorrow because of my travel,” Leach said.

As for his business Tuesday, Leach said he’s excited to bring the all-star game to Tucson. Former Wildcat running back Nic Grigsby participated in the event last year. “It’s a college All-Star game for guys who are done with their eligibility, a whole bunch of pro-scouts will come watch them work out and hopefully they get on the radar and help them get drafted or get on as a free agent,” said Leach.

Last night, Leach held a signing at Barnes & Noble for his book titled, “Swing Your Sword: Leading the Charge in Football and Life.”

The title of the book stems from a popular speech Leach made after a loss to Missouri a few years back. Leach went into detail about what exactly he said in that locker room speech, in which he wielded a museum replica sword.

“Your body is a sword,” Leach said. “You go out and you practice, you do drills to sharpen your sword. You lift weights to sharpen your sword. You watch film so you can swing your sword as efficiently as possible.”