Staff picks

Superbowl: Chicago Bears vs. Indianapolis Colts

Da Bears! Ya, I said it. It puzzles me why everyone is focusing solely on the mediocre play of Rex Grossman. People are forgetting about Peyton Manning’s struggles. His entire career, he has been far from impressive in big playoff games, and the Bears’ defense will contain him like a zoo animal. As long as Rex Grossman doesn’t play the worst game of his career – and boy that would be tough – I would say the Bears have a grip on this one.

Bears 29, Colts 16

Ari Wasserman, staff writer

The Patriots and the Saints should be happy they’re watching the game at home. You can’t watch the commercials on the field. They also get to watch Da Bears win Super Bowl XLI. The Colts aren’t as lucky as Chicago, and they don’t have a QB named Rex. How cool is that? I’m going with the underdogs in this one, or should I say, underBears.

Bears 31, Colts 14

Lance Madden, staff writer

Lately, it’s been hard to root for anyone in the Super Bowl, with the same teams cycling through what seems like the same playoff season. Finally, the Bears and the Colts – different teams – and ESPN is ruining it for me. I get that it’s history. I get that strides are being made in the NFL, but do we really have to keep on talking about the race dynamics of this game. The coaches, the players, everyone’s sick of it. So, let’s play some football, and leave all the propaganda at home.

Colts 24, Bears 16

Melissa Krueger, assistant editor

Washington at No. 20 Arizona

Washington at Arizona
    Just like the basketball itself, Arizona will bounce back. Sure, the Wildcats were beaten by North Carolina like they stole something over the weekend, but that’s in the rearview mirror now. There is no way the Huskies are going to come into Tucson after Arizona’s last performance and hand the Wildcats another loss.

Arizona 89, Washington 65

Ari Wasserman, staff writer

Remember playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey? You knew right where the butt was and could pin that tail all day long. But then you were blindfolded and pinned it on his nose. It was all wrong. You were angry, took the blindfold off, and pinned that tail smack-dab on the butt. The Wildcats have been blindfolded for the last five games or so, are angry, and now they will pin the tail smack-dab on the Husky.

Arizona 87, Washington 81

Lance Madden, staff writer

Get ready for mediocrity, as the two most inconsistent teams in the Pac-10 will face each other Saturday. Remember when Arizona lost to the Huskies in football when it was “”supposed”” to win that game. The Wildcats would’ve gone to a bowl game, blah, blah, blah. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Get used to it, Wildcat fans. It’s going to be a bumpy ride this season.

Washington 89, Arizona 81

Melissa Krueger, assistant editor

No. 10 Texas A&M at No. 6 Kansas

We’re not in Kansas anymore! Wait, we are, and that is horrible news for the Aggies, who are fighting to take sole possession of first place in the Big 12. The Jayhawks have only lost one game at home this season – against Oral Roberts – and that is as much of a fluke as you will see in sports. Texas A&M’s season has been impressive, but Kansas is going to knock them off the yellow brick road.

Kansas 87, Texas A&M 74

Ari Wasserman, staff writer

Everyone do the twist and shout. Kansas will be doing the (tongue) twisting as they try to pronounce the Aggies’ two senior starters in Acie Law IV and Antanas Kavaliauskas. You can say that again. The Aggies will be doing the shouting as they upset the Jayhawks. Law IV has scored 20 or more nine times this season, and looks to make it an even 10. You can say that again.

Texas A&M 74, Kansas 68

Lance Madden, staff writer

If this game wasn’t in the Allen Fieldhouse, maybe the Aggies would have a chance. I’m going to hate myself for favoring the ‘Hawks, but their home-court advantage is just that, a home-court advantage. Now, by no means am I jumping on the Kansas bandwagon, even though the Jawhawks beat Florida. I just can’t see them going far in the Dance, unless they play at home the whole time.

Kansas 80, Texas A&M 76

Melissa Krueger, assistant editor