“W-basketball seeks better focus, execution vs. Vanguard”

In the Arizona women’s basketball team’s lone exhibition game tonight at 7, UA head coach Joan Bonvicini looks to protect her home – McKale Center.

“”It’s all about pride, taking care of your house, and just working on the little things,”” Bonvicini said.

Her Wildcats oppose a top-ranked Vanguard (Calif.) team that went 31-0 in the NAIA last year before losing in the Final Four. The five-time defending Golden State Athletic Conference champions enter Tucson with four consecutive 30-plus-win seasons.

Arizona has prepared with the routine pre-game drills of scouting its opponent and reviewing

It’s all about pride, taking care of your house, and just working on the little things.

– Joan Bonvicini,
    UA head coach

film. Acknowledging the Lions’ zone defense, the Wildcats worked on their zone offense, along with full-court defense they hope will pressure their opponent into turnovers.

Senior Jessica Arnold led the team in practice this week as it refocused following a disappointing 73-41 loss to the Wildcats’ male practice players in the Oct. 28 Red and Blue scrimmage.

“”We obviously look to get a win and build our confidence,”” Arnold said. “”We should get it if we work hard. It’ll be good to see what happens.””

Arnold believes the change on the opposing bench brings a great opportunity, testing the hard work put in during the preseason.

“”You see each other every day at practice, you know each other’s plays,”” she said, “”so it’ll be nice to see how we take it against another team.””

Bonvicini expects more of the same out of an exhibition, while seeking results from rigid defensive preparation throughout the week’s practice.

“”We’ll be much more focused, I can tell you that,”” she said. “”I’m expecting a much better performance (than the Red and Blue Game).””