Adia Barnes given new contract extension as the Arizona women’s basketball coach

Coach+Adia+Barnes+calls+a+timeout+and+talks+to+her+players+during+the+game+against+Oregon+in+the+second+round+of+the+Pac-12+tournament+on+Friday%2C+March+8+at+the+Grand+Garden+Arena+in+Las+Vegas%2C+Nevada.+
Madeleine Viceconte
Coach Adia Barnes calls a timeout and talks to her players during the game against Oregon in the second round of the Pac-12 tournament on Friday, March 8 at the Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The University of Arizona and women’s basketball head coach Adia Barnes have agreed to new financial terms to her previous extension through 2025-26 season. The terms of her five-year deal include a $5.85 million base salary. Barnes and the Wildcats had a season for the ages last year as they reached the program’s first national championship game.

When Barnes took over the job at Arizona in 2016, this was a bad job, and people thought there was no turning around this program. We see now that she has turned this program around.

“I took it, and I made it a good job with the player and the staff and all the support I have,” Barnes said. “I write the story here. I don’t have to follow behind someone. We kind of do it together. We leave our legacy and build it. My challenge is to build it into a powerhouse and pursue a championship.” 

Baylor was looking to make a push for Barnes, but she decided to stay at her alma mater Arizona where it all started as a women’s basketball player. 

“I love Arizona,” Barnes said. “This is the place where it all started for me. It started for me at 17. I have never been only motivated by money. I think money always comes. I have never as a player chosen a place just because of more money. I always think about the people. I always think about my happiness, my quality of life, all of those things are really important to me.”