Arizona regents descend on UA for April board meeting, to set 2016-2017 tuition

Sam Gross
Arizona Board of Regents members gather in Phoenix in February 2016. The regents will visit Tucson this week for their final board meeting of the spring semester.

Every time the Arizona Board of Regents meets, the regents discuss some of the largest issues facing Arizona’s college students. But this week’s meeting at the UA, on April 7 and 8, is one of the most important of the entire year as the regents will set the cost of tuition for the upcoming academic year.

Tuition largely dominates the agenda for this week’s meetings as the regents have to approve tuition proposals from all three of the in-state universities.

Here are the highlights of UA President Ann Weaver Hart’s tuition proposal for the UA main campus:

• 3.2 percent increase in tuition and mandatory fees for incoming new resident undergraduate students, which is a $366 increase
  • 2.8 percent increase in tuition and mandatory fees for continuing resident undergraduate students who did not opt-in for the tuition guarantee program, which is a $299 increase
  • 7.2 percent increase in tuition and mandatory fees for incoming new nonresident undergraduate students, which is a $2,337 increase
  • 5.8 percent increase in tuition and mandatory fees for continuing nonresident undergraduate students who did not opt-in for the tuition guarantee program, which is a $1,745 increase
  • 2.8 percent increase in tuition and mandatory fees for resident graduate students, which is a $335 increase
  • 5.8 percent increase in tuition and mandatory fees for nonresident graduate students, which is a $1,765 increase
  • Also proposed is discontinuing the two and three-year master’s tuition guarantees that were implemented in a UA pilot program in 2015-2016.

The UA is also proposing to increase two existing differential tuition and program fees that create three new program fees for undergraduate students, and eight new program fees for graduate students.

Five existing class fees have proposed increases, and there’s one new class fee proposed in humanities.

UA undergraduate housing will see a proposed average of a 4 percent increase, which is roughly $275 per year.

The incremental gross tuition and fee revenues are estimated at $219.2 million under Hart’s tuition proposals, according to the regents’ executive summary included in their agenda.

The agenda stated the breakdown is $191.5 million from base tuition and $27.7 million from differential, program, class and mandatory fees. Of the $191.5 million in base tuition, 72 percent ($137.7 million) is attributed to enrollment growth and change in the mix of students and 28 percent ($53.8 million) from rate increases.

Other big agenda items include the UA asking the board for authorization to:

• Sell part of vacant land adjacent to state Route 260, that is currently owned by UA to the Arizona Department of Transportation
  • Acquire property in downtown Phoenix that is adjacent to the UA’s Phoenix Biomedical Campus from the University of Arizona Foundation for expected future growth
  • The UA is also asking the board to approve the appointments of three new regents’ professors, Renu Malhotra, Ronald Breiger and Frank Gohlke, from the UA for their exceptional achievements.

Follow Chastity Laskey on Twitter.