Class registration sees big change

UAccess, the system replacing Student Link, implemented its largest change for students today — class registration.

The launch uses the new search catalog for class browsing and maintenance of personal biographical information. Students can also now view enrollment appointments, transfer credit reports, personal campus finances and full academic records and request adviser times and official transcripts.

Monday also marks the beginning of the Cat Cart, a system allowing students to surf classes and place them in their cart, instead of the one-by-one search system on Student Link.

“”It’s just like your shopping cart in Amazon,”” said Kay Stevens Beasock, manager of organizational communications for the Mosaic project.

Beasock also stressed that placing items in your cart does not equate to registering for classes.

“”Again, just like in Amazon, until you hit ‘purchase,’ or in this case ‘register,’ you aren’t registered for those classes,”” Beasock said.

“”I think it will be positive for students,”” said Suellyn Hull, co-director of the Mosaic project, which includes the UAccess changeover. “”I think the (shopping cart) is our biggest worry.””

Hull said students need to remember to go back to their Cat Cart and check class availability, marked by a green button in the new system, which is crucial to the success of UAccess.

The new staggered, open enrollment times will not start over the weekend, but rather on Mondays, according to class rank and will remain open through the following Sunday.

Students can access all open enrollment appointment assignments using UAccess student center. Appointments will be assigned and available starting today.

“”We staggered it to manage the load on the system,”” Hull said. “”But I think it will still be a benefit for students.””

Tom Bourgeois, co-director of the Mosaic project, said students know exactly where they stand with class rank and records to make sure the switchover process goes smoothly.

“”Students should check their record to see if it converted accurately,”” Bourgeois said.

The student center in UAccess becomes the new hub for information and student records, so in order to ease the learning curve, under WebReg in Student Link, a tutorial video will be available for students to learn the new system.

From May through December, online academic planners and markers of degree progress for graduation by college will be phased-in and will complete the UAccess transfer process.

An informational meeting about the latest changes in the Student Link switchover to UAccess will be held on Thursday from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in the Ventana room of the Student Union Memorial Center.