1 killed, 1 injured in shooting near campus

Carlos Guillermo, a 23-year-old man, was killed and another injured during a shooting in an apartment on Euclid Avenue and First Street.

Witnesses reported hearing gunshots around 11:45 a.m., in the 700 block of East First Street.

Tucson Police Department officers were on scene within five minutes. There was a man suffering from non-life-threatening injuries outside of the apartment. The man indicated that he had received his injuries inside and directed officers to the apartment, said Sgt. Matt Ronstadt, public information officer for TPD.

Officers found Guillermo, dead in the apartment with signs of trauma, though Ronstadt said he could not confirm the type of trauma.

Police officials say they’re looking for two suspects. Witnesses reported seeing two black men, both about 6 feet tall and wearing dark clothing. One of them had a light complexion.

They reportedly left in a white two-door passenger coupe-style car.

A woman was waiting to pick up the victim with non-threatening injuries. She said he told her that the assailants hit him in the head with a gun. He also said they came into the apartment to try and “steal things,” although the woman said she was unsure what the offenders were trying to steal.

“I’ve been here (to the apartment complex) plenty of times, and haven’t heard of anything like this,” the woman said.

She added that the surviving victim was very friendly with Guillermo.

Gilberto Ganara, a FedEx driver in the area who said he has been delivering to the area every day for the past year, said he was surprised to see caution tape around the residence and to hear about crime in the area.

“I’ve been coming here for the past year, and nothing,” he said.

Some of Guillermo’s neighbors said the shooting did not shock them.

Ben Goriesky, a Pima Community College student who said he lives next door to Guillermo, said he constantly had visitors in his apartment.

“Generally, it was the people that come and go all the time (from Guillermo’s apartment) that seemed a lot more sketchy,” Goriesky said.

Rachel Kahn, a UA communication sophomore, said that she was surprised about its proximity to the UA campus, but did not think a shooting in the city was unexpected.

“Shootings are not common around campus, but they definitely are in Tucson,” she said. “I’m not surprised at all. Definitely not.”

Jason Carton, a pre-business sophomore, said he was surprised by how close to campus the incident occurred.

“I honestly thought this was like more of a safer part of Tucson just because it’s so close to campus,” he said.

Lauren Bressick, a psychology junior, said gunshots are not uncommon in that location.

“Like a month ago, in a matter of two or three weeks, I heard like five gunshots in this area,” she said.

TPD is still trying to figure out the details of the incident. Motive has not been determined.

As of press time, it is unclear whether any UA students were involved in the incident.

_— Nicole Dimtsios, Kyle Mittan and Amer Taleb contributed reporting to this story. _