Calendar: Tucson and Campus

Neko Case is singing some sultry blues at the Rialto on Tuesday at 8 p.m. If youre lucky, one or two of these deer will show up as well.
    Neko Case is singing some sultry blues at the Rialto on Tuesday at 8 p.m. If you’re lucky, one or two of these deer will show up as well.

Wednesday

Lemon Man – This former lead singer of Tucson’s own Galactic Federation of Love will perform quirky pop tunes that sound similar to the Beatles and Talking Heads. Well, that probably doesn’t tell you much. 9:30 p.m. Free. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)

Thursday

Tapes ‘N Tapes – Their music sounds both twangy and experimental at the same time. Kind of like if Of Montreal had wild sex with Wilco and named their baby Horace. I don’t know why Horace, I just like the name. With Cold War Kids and the Figurines. 9 p.m. $8. Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave.

Stars Ejected from the Galaxy by a Massive Black Hole – So, apparently this lecture focuses on the way stars interact with black holes. To be more precise, it’s about space. Space is cool. Go to the lecture. 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Free. Steward Observatory, Room N210

Friday

Black Rose Poetry Readings – Jefferson Carter, a local poet who has written poems called “”Tough Love”” and “”Starry Night”” will read a few of his selections. Afterwards there will be an open mic poetry slam where people can embarrass themselves and others. 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Free. Black Rose Caffe, 1800 N. Stone Ave.

Saturday

Mensa Saturday matinee – Aside from wearing a fake Ivy League sweatshirt, going to a Mensa meeting is just about the only other way you can make yourself look smarter than you are. At this get-together, they will watch and discuss the movie “”Magnificent Seven.”” 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Free. Posada Del Rio Apartments, 7424 E. Speedway Blvd.

Sunday

Man Man – Man, this indie rock band is good. Their songs are rather experimental and draw from a range of historical influences. By this, I mean The Clash and Bloc Party, ’cause everyone sounds like them. 9 p.m. $6. Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave.

Monday

ArtWORKS at Pima – This free independent study course in art history lets students discuss literature and classics. Not sure if you get any credits for it, but knowing that the Venus is more than a razor will at least make you smarter. Noon to 3 p.m. Free. Pima Community College Center for the Arts, 2202 W. Anklam Road

Tuesday

Neko Case – This orange-haired maiden will croon the classics from all five of her wonderful alternative albums. Become a basket-case for Neko Case? Oh man, that’s lame. 8 p.m. $16. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

-Compiled by Andi Berlin