Police Beat: April 6

Packing for ASU

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was on patrol on Thursday at 2:22 a.m. when he saw a male student stumbling as he walked down the street. As soon as the officer turned on his emergency lights, the man fled. A second officer later found him sitting on a bench on Highland Avenue and Fourth Street.

The second officer approached the man and asked him to stand up. He told the student that he was positively identified as a student who fled from the police earlier.

The officer asked him why he ran. The student replied, “I have received a prior minor in possession and I couldn’t afford another one. My parents told me if I get another MIP, they would send me to ASU.”

Officers then arrested him and cited him for minor in possession. Officers asked him how much to drink he had tonight, and the student said, “I was at a friend’s party and I had about five to six shots of vodka.” Officers noted in the report that he smelled heavily of alcohol and had bloodshot eyes.

Trouble on the hill

UAPD officers were called for backup on Tumamoc Hill by the Tucson Police Department after a woman claimed she was being verbally harassed by her former boyfriend Wednesday at 6:26 p.m. Neither of them were affiliated with the UA.

The woman told officers that she was walking down the hill when she noticed from a distance her ex-boyfriend walking up. She then saw another man who had hurt his ankle while walking down the hill so she offered to help him. As she and the injured man walked past the ex-boyfriend, he yelled out, “I’m going to fuck up your face. Here is your damn key back, you whore.”

The woman said she quickly dismissed it. She picked up the key and continued to aid the hurt stranger. The woman then walked down the hill shortly after and realized that her ex-boyfriend was following her. She stopped and told her ex-boyfriend to leave her alone and to stop following her. He replied, “If you put me in jail, I will make it worse for you.”

She then proceeded to call the police to report the incident. Officers searched the area for the ex-boyfriend. UAPD officers noted in the report that this was not the first recorded incident. There was a restraining order against the ex-boyfriend, but it expired in late 2011. Officers asked the woman to tell the man that the police would like to speak with him and would only document the most recent incident. They also advised her to change her locks.