Staff Picks

Final Four

As much as I’ve tried to will myself to support the Pac-10 and UCLA, I simply can’t do it. I still have to look out for my bracket. Despite Georgetown’s handling of UNC in the Elite Eight, Ohio State has my full attention. The Buckeyes have proven they can be dangerous even without Greg Oden. This national championship game will be a rematch from January in football, but not nearly as one-sided or, dare I say, boring as the BCS title game was.

Florida 87, Ohio State 83 (OT)

Bobby Stover, sports writer

This year’s NCAA Championship will host the same two teams as college football’s BCS National Championship. Ohio State will dominate Georgetown behind Greg Oden and Mike Conley Jr., and Florida will take care of business against UCLA. Then it’s payback time for Ohio State. After Florida downed Ohio State in football’s championship – making some Buckeye fans cry – Ohio State will claim basketball’s national championship.

Ohio State 41, Florida 14

Ari Wasserman, sports writer

The UCLA-Florida championship rematch will prove to be epic, just like Georgetown-UNC in the 1983 Final Four, with Florida coming out on top. Then, in what should be the most exciting game of the tournament, Georgetown dominates Ohio State. In the championship game, the experience of the Gators will win it, and Patrick Ewing Jr. will follow in his dad’s footsteps – without a national title.

Florida 78, Georgetown 76

Savir Punia, sports writer

Baseball: Arizona vs. No. 4 Oregon State

As much as I’d like to say Arizona will be able to beat the national-champion Beavers, I really don’t see it happening. The only other time Arizona faced a high-ranked team this season was Cal-State Fullerton. They won the first game of the series by one run but dropped the next two by a combined score of 18-2.

Oregon State 7, Arizona 3

Bobby Stover, sports writer

The Beavers are 23-3 on the season, and although the Wildcats are winners of eight consecutive games, Oregon State is on another level. But all of that means nothing. Heck, why do they play the games? Expect the Wildcats to pull a rabbit out of their hat when they knock off last year’s College World Series champs.

Arizona 5, Oregon State 1

Ari Wasserman, sports writer

Friday will be the first game of a three-game series, and even though Oregon State is the “”better”” team, the Wildcats’ momentum should carry them, as well as Preston Guilmet’s right arm. Guilmet is 5-0 with a 1.70 ERA and should be able to keep the Oregon State hitters off balance all day long.

Arizona 6, Oregon State 4

Savir Punia, sports writer

Softball: No. 5 Arizona vs. No. 16 Washington

Wildcat starter Taryne Mowatt has been dominant in the circle as of late, allowing only four runs in her last six starts. Arizona’s bats have been hot as well, putting up 32 runs in their last three games. That will be a big factor in this matchup.

Arizona 10, Washington 1

Bobby Stover, sports writer

Softball is coming on strong of late. After hitting a rocky road against Oklahoma – getting run-ruled 11-0 – a few weeks ago, the Wildcats returned to Hillenbrand Stadium and run-ruled New Mexico in all three games. Behind the strong pitching of Taryne Mowatt and strong hitting from Kristie Fox and Jenae Leles, the Wildcats are going to handle the Huskies.

Arizona 9, Washington 3

Ari Wasserman, sports writer

Even though Arizona lost ace Alicia Hollowell after last season, the Wildcats look like they haven’t skipped a beat. The Huskies look strong, winning the consolation championship in the Judi Garman Classic. The game will be quite a challenge, but seniors Caitlin Lowe, Fox and Mesa are leading off the lineup with a combined .358 average. The seniors’ stellar play will power the Cats past the Huskies on Friday.

Arizona 12, Washington 8

Savir Punia, sports writer