Momo Jones to leave Arizona basketball

Arizona starting point guard Lamont ‘Momo’ Jones announced he is transferring from head coach Sean Miller’s program following his sophomore season, according to a release from the athletic department.

“”After much thought, I have decided to pursue my goals at a school closer to home,”” Jones said in the statement. “”My desire to be closer to my family, and in particular my grandmother, is the reason I am transferring. I want it to be known that I love this program, my coaches and teammates. I appreciate everyone for supporting me through this tough time.””

Jones said in the release he has yet to choose a destination.

Jones leaves the program having averaged 9.7 points and 2.4 assists per game last season, helping the Wildcats to an Elite Eight berth. 

Much of the speculation over Jones’ departure comes with tight playing time in the backcourt next season. Sophomore-to-be Jordin Mayes showed progress in backing up Jones in 2010-11 and Top 20 prospect Josiah Turner, a flashy-passing point, comes this upcoming year.

Though Miller said he would likely play three guards at a time, minutes would still be sparse considering the returning players at the two-guard spot and incoming freshman Nick Johnson eating up playing time.

Around 5 p.m. Monday evening Jones tweeted this on his Twitter handle, ItsMeMomo12, alluding to the announcement.

“”If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the Past couple of months, its that “”Family Is Everything.”” I Love You Grandma!!!! I will be there 4U.””