Five-star basketball recruit to visit Arizona

Tyler Baker
Arizona basketball coach Sean Miller coaches his team during Arizona’s 99-67 win over Washington. Miller is working to recruit Rawle Alkins, a five star basketball recruit visiting Arizona this week.

Is Arizona men’s basketball on the verge of adding another piece to its 2016 recruiting class? Possibly so, it appears.

Five-star guard Rawle Alkins is taking an unofficial visit to Arizona, he tweeted Tuesday. 

Alkins will almost certainly be in McKale Center Thursday night to catch the Wildcats’ game against Oregon.

Alkins, a New York native, is ranked as the No. 17 overall recruit in the 2016 class according to 247sports.com.

There’s reason to believe that Alkins is serious about Arizona.

For one, he is paying for his own way to travel across the country to visit Tucson. Because Alkins is taking an unofficial visit rather than an official visit, Arizona cannot pay for any of Alkins’ travel or lodging.

That Alkins and his family would spend the money to send him to Arizona for a mid-week trip suggests he isn’t visiting Tucson just to enjoy a little warm air.

Alkins also hinted at Arizona as a possible destination when he tweeted a picture of himself FaceTiming commit Kobi Simmons last week.

Simmons, for what it’s worth, will visit Tucson this weekend.