POBEAT: 9/21/16

Looking to join the team

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a call concerning a man who had been bothering the UA basketball staff continually throughout the day on Sept. 15.

Officers saw the man, a UA student, exercising in a grass area near McKale Center and identified him as a UA student.

The UA had received calls from the UA basketball staff about the man because he had been asking to be on the team.

The staff told the man repeatedly there are no open spots on the team and asked him to stop asking them, but the man persisted.

When the officers confronted the man, he said he did not mean to harass the staff or disturb anyone.

He said he had grown up in Tucson and had dreamed of playing for the UA basketball team, adding that he was also friends with many of the players on the team.

The officer told the man he should not be in buildings that he doesn’t have a reason to be in.

The man said that he wouldn’t return to speak to the staff there.

The officer said the man should find another spot to exercise that is not so close to McKale Center.

An FYI was completed for the Dean of Students.

Problems at the Poetry Center

UAPD officers placed a man under arrest for third-degree trespassing on Sept. 16.

Officers responded to a call about a man who may have been intoxicated seen walking in the intersection of Helen Street and Cherry Avenue and asking people for a knife.

Instead of finding the man in the intersection, Officers instead found him stumbling through a party at the UA Poetry Center, disturbing the party’s attendees.

The man told officers he had just left the hospital and was not aware that he was on UA property.

The officers noted he had to have walked past a UA sign when entering the poetry center courtyard.

The man was found to have an active exclusionary order with the UA. The officers then arrested the man, removed him from UA property and took him to Pima County Jail.