Mail Bag

Bush protects civil liberties

I take issue with Paul Metcalf’s assertion that “”Republicans and the president have done everything within their power to curtail every civil liberty possible”” (“”College Republicans’ allegiances ‘schizophrenic'””). Now, I am not quite sure if he truly believes this statement or if he is simply ignoring the facts.

One of the many examples of the administration protecting our civil liberties during war time occurred earlier this year. The attorney general launched a new initiative. This initiative was created to protect our first liberty: religious freedom.

Maybe I should remind Paul that the Attorney General answers directly to the president of the United States. Well, if Paul is right, then the Republicans and the president have forgotten to eliminate one key civil liberty.

Thanks for reminding them. I’m sure they will get the message and begin work to curb this civil liberty immediately.

Trevor Smith political science senior

A Passover treatise

In Tucson, the Holocaust continues after over 80 years. Hundreds of Jewish students at the UA are forced to abandon ancient traditions in hopes of survival. Every year, sometime between March, April or May, Jews around the world are forced to forsake any “”leavened bread”” for the eight days of Passover.

While it may sound simple at first, this task becomes increasingly difficult when you realize that “”leavened bread”” is actually just code for all bread, carbs and really any thing that rises or simply tastes good. As if the holiday of Passover is not daunting enough, many students are being expected to survive without accesses to a kitchen, a car or suitable restaurants to sustain such a diet. I can assure you that when this holiday was created that “”Frog and Firkin,”” “”Gentle Ben’s,”” “”Chipotle,”” “”La Salsa,”” “”No Anchovies,”” “”Panda Express”” and “”Subway”” were not on Moses’ must-consume list.

As a student, living away from home for the first time, my original goal was to adhere to the principles that make up this sacred holiday, yet when I saw my food options I immediately realized that this plan might require some amendments; then I saw my ounce of hope: Oy Vey CafǸ.

Oy Vey CafǸ is located in the Hillel on campus and claims to offer a kosher dining experience, and most of the year it has supported this claim with a marginal array of edible foods, yet when I needed them most, they failed me. My misery began when the cafǸ was closed for the first two days of Passover, forcing me resort to tortillas (sorry Moses) because they were the only form of un-risen bread that could be found around the aptly nicknamed “”Jew-of-A.””

Then when the cafǸ opened on Wednesday, I now wish it would have remained closed. The food that this “”kosher”” restaurant served was neither edible nor food at all. Matzah Brei is a dish typically consumed during Passover, prepared by cooking eggs with Matzah (unleavened bread). When Oy Vey CafǸ claimed to serve this dish I thought my Passover strife had been answered, yet after glancing at their rendition of this delicacy, I was unable to identify it as anything more than a poorly cooked omelet.

Once my kosher option failed me, I knew that my week of breadless meals was to continue with no fathomable end in sight. Every meal I attempted to find something that would not force my ancestors to roll over in their grave, but with every step towards the nearest restaurant I began to realize that, that task was blatantly impossible.

Thus I began to regularly consume tortillas as a method to survive, even though I realized the illegitimacy of this food on such a sacred holiday. As I write this treatise on

Easter Sunday, I ask America: When is it time to thank the culture that brought you bagels and cream cheese? When do we finally liberate the

Jewish diet from constant persecution?

We must free these college students from the bounds of a Christian society allowing them to follow the path of their religion. After all would not Christ himself be left to wander University Avenue in search of an acceptable meal?

Ian Friedman journalism freshman

Act is step in right direction

Here in Arizona, we hear about immigration issues on a daily basis. It is rarely good or pleasant news. On Mar. 22, Rep. Luis Guiterrez, D-Ill., and Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., introduced the STRIVE Act (Security through Regularized Immigration and Vibrant Economy Act).

The STRIVE Act is an immigration reform policy, something that is much needed in the United States. Unfortunately, there has not been much in the news about the STRIVE Act. The STRIVE Act is definitely a step in the right direction because it places the issue of immigration reform before Congress.

Whether you sympathize with the plight of illegal immigrants, or feel they are taking advantage, you need to know about the STRIVE Act. It has good points and bad points. It is already as controversial as the immigration issue itself.

As the STRIVE Act is reviewed by Congress, it will go through many revisions. Arizonans, we have a chance to make our voices heard. Become familiar with the proposed STRIVE Act, follow its progress and revisions in the news and contact your Congressmen with your opinions and ideas.

Andriana Valdez pre-education junior