Arizona soccer suspends activities after seven potential players and staffers test positive for COVID-19

Lexi Horsey

Arizona’s junior forward Jada Talley dribbling the ball up the field during the game against University of California Irvine on Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019, at Murphey field. The game ended with a score of 4-0, a win for the Wildcats. 

The University of Arizona women’s soccer team has suspended its activities for two weeks after seven players and staffers may have tested positive for COVID-19, the school announced on Thursday, Sept. 3.

The UA confirmed 13 total cases within the entire athletic department and reported six potential positive cases. Seven of the 19 total cases stemmed from the women’s soccer team, three came from the team’s medical staff and the other nine were spread over eight separate teams.

“Out of an abundance of caution, we are going to suspend all activities [for the soccer team] until we can effectively determine whether there is further spread of the virus,” Director of Medical Services for Arizona Athletics Dr. Steven Paul said. “The safety of our students and student-athletes is the first priority of the University of Arizona.” 

As of Sept. 3, the university reported 104 new positive antigen tests, bringing the total number of cases to 204 positive cases out of the 272 total confirmed cases through the “Test All Test Smart” program beginning on July 31.

Follow Jacob Mennuti on Twitter