UA soccer hangs on to early goals to beat Utah

The Arizona soccer team huddles before their game against USC on Oct. 5.

The Wildcats scored three goals in the first half giving them just enough of a cushion to hang on to a 3-2 victory over the Utah Utes in Salt Lake City, Utah on Thursday night.

Charlotte Brascia (1’), Jill Aguilera (4’) and Cali Crisler (19’) all put one in the back of the net within the first 20’ of action at Ute Field giving Arizona their seventh win of the season. 

Brascia got the Cats’ on the board 10 seconds into the opening whistle when she connected on an assist from Gabi Stoian putting the ball in the bottom left corner. Four minutes later the Cats’ would score their second goal of the game when junior Kennedy Kieneker found Aguilera who got the ball pass Utes keeper Carly Nelson. Krisler would add to the score in the 19’ giving Arizona their third goal of the night and her first of the season.

The Utes would respond in the second half as they pressured and attacked the Wildcats more consistently resulting in two goals by Lulu Borges in the 75’ and Hailey Skolmoski 10 minutes later. The Utes were ranked No.17 at one point in the season before they went on a five-game losing streak.  

The Wildcats (7-4-3, Pac-12 4-2-1) will wrap up their weekend trip and head to Boulder, Colo. where they will have a face off against the Buffaloes (8-5-3, Pac-12 2-4-1) at Prentup Field on Sunday, Oct. 22. The opening whistle is scheduled at 1 p.m. 

Follow Alex Munoz on Twitter