“Hall of Fame to induct 10 athletes, 1 team”

Homecoming weekend involves more than just a football game. Along with other events, every year there are new inductees into the University of Arizona Sports Hall of Fame.

This year the Hall of Fame will welcome 10 individuals and one team into its repertoire in an induction ceremony that takes place today at 4 p.m. in the Jim Click Hall of Champions inside McKale Center.

Lauren Bauer – a member of Arizona softball from 1997-2001. As a member of the 2001 national championship team, Bauer also was named a first-team All-American twice and an Academic All-Pacific 10 Conference student athlete as well. Some of Bauer’s records still stand on the Arizona softball field, as she remains seventh in career batting average (.411), fifth in hits in a season (104) and fourth in all-time hits in a career with 349.

Mike Bibby – a member of the Arizona basketball team from 1996-98. The Pac-10 and national Freshman of the Year during the 1997 national championship year, he became the first-ever freshman point guard to lead a team to a national title. Bibby was a first-team All-American pick in 1998 and Pac-10 Player of the Year as a sophomore. In his 69 starts as a Wildcat, Bibby averaged 15.4 points, 5.5 assists and 3.1 rebounds. Bibby was the second pick overall in the 1998 NBA Draft to the Vancouver Grizzlies and now plays for the Sacramento Kings.

“”He deserves it,”” said Miles Simon, a former teammate and current UA assistant coach who was inducted last year. “”He’s one of the best to ever play here. It’s something that should be cherished.””

Kristi Gunning – a member of the Arizona gymnastics team from 1990-94, Gunning was a four-time All-Pac-10 gymnast. She was also a two-time All-American and the 1993 Pac-10 champion for vault. She was also a finalist for Pac-10 Gymnast of the Year honors in that season and a finalist for the AAI Senior Gymnast of the Year in 1994 honoring the top gymnast for her achievements throughout her entire career. When she left Arizona, Gunning was on the record books in all five events. She remains in the Arizona record books in four events after leaving as the only gymnast to be in all five.

Denali Kapp-Garcia – an Arizona swimmer from 1996-2000, Knapp was named the Pac-10 champion twice in her four years and was also a 23-time All-American selection. In 1997, she was part of the 200-yard freestyle relay NCAA champion team, and in 1998, she helped retain the 200y freestyle relay and also the 400y freestyle relay. In 1999, she helped take the 400y freestyle relay NCAA title.

Toni Masceranas – a member of Arizona softball from 1997-2001. She was named an All-Pac-10 player all four years. She still sits in the NCAA record books’ top five for home runs in a season with 25 and career RBIs with 245. Masceranas still holds Arizona softball records in 10 different categories. After starting all 71 games as a freshman, Masceranas was named the Pac-10 Newcomer of the Year, also earning All-College World Series and first-team All-American honors.

Harry Messick – an Arizona baseball player from 1955-58, Messick had a .345 batting average during the 1956 season when the Wildcats went to the College World Series in Omaha, Neb., losing to Minnesota. Messick also led the team in triples and home runs that season. In the 1958 season, the Wildcats returned to Omaha, with Messick still leading the team in triples and home runs while batting at a .305 clip. Messick was an ACBA All-American in 1958 at first base, the year he was also named team captain. Messick had a brief 1 1/2-year stint playing for the Cleveland Indians.

Patrick Nduwimana – a member of the Arizona cross country and track and field team from 1998-2001, Nduwimana was one of Arizona’s most accomplished runners. He won the 2000 NCAA 800-meter outdoor championship and the 2001 800m indoor championship with record-setting times. A Pac-10 champion in both 1999 and 2000 in the 800m, Nduwimana competed in the Sydney and Athens Olympics for his home nation of Burundi, going to the semifinals for both. He continues to compete internationally and ranks 14th on the all-time best top 30 list for the 800m.

Dennis Northcutt – an Arizona football player from 1996-2000, Northcutt owns 12 school records and ranks second on the Pac-10 career reception list with 223 for 3,252 yards. For the 1999 season, Northcutt was a first-team All-American for all-purpose backs on SportsPage.com. He also earned first-team honors for receiving from the American Football Coaches Association and was named to the first-team All-Pac-10 squad. Northcutt was drafted by the Cleveland Browns 32nd overall in 2000, and is now in his seventh season.

Andrea Neary-Dutoit – an Arizona track and field member from 1997-2001, Neary-Dutoit took the 2001 NCAA title in pole vaulting. Setting numerous records throughout her career, the 4.0 student with a double major in molecular and cellular biology and physiology had her best vault at 13 feet, 9.4 inches. That vault still ranks as the third best in the Arizona record books.

Jason “”Red”” Greer – an Arizona football player from 1931-34, Greer won three letters in football and two in baseball. He came to Arizona in 1931 as a three-time All-Border Conference right end. He played two years of baseball as a catcher and outfielder. Greer was an assistant and head coach at Tucson High School and was Tucson High’s first athletic director in 1956 thru 1975 when he retired.

The 2006 NCAA champion softball team – It was a speech by coach Mike Candrea in May 2006 that fueled the championship Wildcats to win 18 of their next 20 games after a disappointing stretch in the Pac-10, giving the team their first title since 2001 and the team’s seventh since 1991. The team was led by senior pitcher Alicia Hollowell, who threw three consecutive shutouts, culminating with the 5-0 win over Northwestern to give Arizona the title in a two-game championship series sweep. Junior center fielder Caitlin Lowe, who led the Wildcats offensively with a .425 batting average during the 2006 season, had two hits and scored twice in the contest. Senior left fielder Autumn Champion and sophomore catcher Calista Balko scored two runs each.

– Compiled by Allison Hamila with information taken from a press release at www.arizonaathletics.com