Possible gun incident at middle school probed by Donna ISD police

Donna Superintendent Roberto Laredo said district police will use video surveillance and witness testimony to investigate whether a student brought a gun early Wednesday to Solis Middle School.

Just months after a Donna high school student was caught with a rifle in his pickup, Laredo said no student was injured in Wednesday’s incident but that investigators had apprehended a middle-school student who they believe had a firearm with him on campus before leaving later in the day.

He confirmed firecracker-like sounds were heard near the school about 7:15 a.m., not long before the first bell rings.

“”No one was hurt. No one was at risk,”” Laredo said Wednesday evening. “”There’s possibly a connection with some broken windows, but I want to clarify that in the morning.””

The superintendent had spent the day in Austin and said he would meet with administrators early Thursday morning to gather all the details and check video surveillance cameras.

District officials told him that the unidentified student was taken back to the school to address why he had ditch, an approach that quickly dissolved.

“”He was being very uncooperative, so the administration knew he was always around two or three other friends,”” he said. “”Maybe one of them or two of them began to provide some information on what happened. Everyone is being questioned to form a complete picture.””

Administrators did send students home with a letter to their parents explaining that the district took necessary measures to ensure the safety of their children, Laredo said.

The incident is Donna’s second gun-related case this year. The first occurred when district police noticed a high school student allegedly under the influence of marijuana.

They searched his vehicle as he drove away from campus and found a rifle, which officials said was never displayed or used to threaten anyone.

The student claimed it belonged to his father and was used for hunting.

Still, the student was transported to a juvenile detention court and would likely appear in court if he had not already, district officials said at the time.

Laredo said the most recent incident probably would involve assistance from Donna’s municipal police.

In light of both, however, the superintendent said he “”wants to stress we are continuing to monitor students in their behavior at school. We will continue intervention”” to prevent “”any potentially dangerous situation.””