Police Beat: November 19

Getting high-ly crafty

A resident of Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia on Nov. 8.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers were dispatched to Apache-Santa Cruz in reference to a smell of marijuana in one of the hallways.  A resident assistant escorted the officers to the second floor where they were able to detect the smell from a room.

They knocked on the door and made contact with a man who said he lived in the room. He allowed the officers in. One officer noticed a towel that the room’s residents had placed at the bottom of the door.

The scent of marijuana was much stronger upon entering the room. There were six individuals, and they all identified themselves with driver’s licenses.

The officers explained they were there because of the smell of marijuana.

The officers asked the resident if he had any marijuana or paraphernalia in the room. He said he did. He pulled out a red water jug and said he kept the marijuana in there to keep the room from smelling.

He also handed the officers a pair of scissors he said he used as a grinder to cut the marijuana. He also handed them an opened pack of rolling papers.

Two of the six individuals showed signs or symptoms of marijuana use and both admitted to smoking. However, the resident said the marijuana belonged to him.

Booze ’n’ snooze

A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for underage drinking on Nov. 8.

A UAPD officer was dispatched to the Babcock Residence Hall around 4 p.m. in reference to the report of an unresponsive man.

The officer was flagged down by three people who informed him the man he was looking for was on the second level of the D building. When the officer got to the second level of the D building, he observed a man lying on the ground with a cellphone in his hand.

The man was breathing and had a pulse, but he did not respond when the officer yelled at him or tapped his foot. At this time, Tucson Fire Department arrived and woke him up.

The man told TFD he had been drinking and got tired, so he took a nap but that he was fine now. TFD medically cleared him.

The officer then spoke with the man. His eyes were watery and bloodshot, and the officer could noitced a strong smell of intoxicants from his mouth when he spoke. His speech was also slurred.

The man told the officer, “I’m not going to lie. Yeah, I’ve had a little bit to drink today.”

Another officer asked him why he was at Babcock. He said, “This is where the sophomores hang out. I’m not a freshman anymore.”

He proceeded to tell both officers that he did not know anyone at Babcock, and he went to the second level because “that’s where the cops are.”

One officer informed him that he was there before any police officers got there and then explained the diversion program to the man.