The Daily Wildcat’s team and player of the week: Feb. 11

Mason Kumet
Pelle Larsson celebrates a breakaway dunk against the University of Texas at Arlington in McKale Center on Sunday, Nov. 19. Larsson gathered a game high of three offensive rebounds as well as scoring 13 points of his own.

Amidst a week filled with stellar performances, Pelle Larsson showcased his brilliance for the No. 8 Arizona men’s basketball team, contributing significantly to their triple-overtime victory against the University of Utah and a decisive win against the University of Colorado, Boulder. The Wildcats’ dynamic play on the hardwood was complemented by the dominant presence of the softball team in their season opener, leaving the Candrea Classic with a perfect 5-0 start the season.

Player of the Week

Pelle Larsson — Guard, men’s basketball

Arizona kicked off its road trip, first facing the University of Utah on Thursday, Feb. 8, in the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, which resulted in a thrilling triple-overtime contest, with the Wildcats emerging victorious with a final score of 105-99. Larsson had his talents on full display in this game as he put forth an offensive masterclass with a career-high 27 points, eight assists and seven rebounds. His performance spearheaded Arizona’s path to securing this hard-fought victory.

The second game of the week took place in Boulder, Colorado, where Arizona dominated Colorado with a resounding 99-79 win on Saturday, Feb. 10, in CU Events Center. Larsson continued his impressive form, tallying 18 points and three steals. This victory marked the Wildcats’ fifth consecutive win and the Buffaloes’ first home loss of the season.

In the triple-overtime thriller against Utah, Larsson made the vital plays to secure the win, including his lead-taking shot in the first overtime. Against Colorado, Larsson also played a key role in maintaining Arizona’s lead throughout the game, showcasing his prowess on both sides of the ball whenever his number was called.

Team of the Week

Softball  

Meanwhile, the Arizona softball team kicked off its 50th season with an impressive showing in the Candrea Classic at Mike Candrea Field at Rita Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium. The Wildcats achieved a clean sweep in the four-day tournament, run-ruling all their opponents.

In the opening game against Utah Tech University, the Wildcats secured the victory (9-1), setting the tone for a dominant performance throughout the tournament. Subsequent wins against Lipscomb University (8-0), the University of North Texas (8-0) twice and the University of Northern Colorado (8-0) showcased the team’s offensive firepower and defensive strength.

Notably, the Wildcats achieved a perfect game against Lipscomb, with freshman Brooke Mannon on the mound. The pristine pitching, combined with a strong offensive display in these games, highlighted Arizona’s potential for a successful season ahead.

Up next, the Wildcats look ahead to the Bear Down Fiesta four-day tournament on Thursday, Feb. 15. With the impressive start to the season, the Wildcats have established themselves as a team to pay attention to moving forward. With the help of their solid pitching, powerful hitting and strategic gameplay, teams throughout the nation will have no choice but to take notice as the season progresses.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X