Campus Crime Roundup #4: Barstool Sports followers applaud library heroics

The+Daily+Wildcats+police+beat+brings+students+up+to+speed+on+campus+crime+and+ways+to+stay+safe+at+the+University+of+Arizona.+
Maddie French
The Daily Wildcat’s police beat brings students up to speed on campus crime and ways to stay safe at the University of Arizona.

Amidst the hustle of midterm season and the trials and tribulations of Valentine’s Day, campus has certainly felt busier than usual, but when students lock in, what goes on behind the scenes? This edition of Police Beat will get students up to speed. 

Incident in Main Library  

On Feb. 7, library staff reported an assault in progress on the first level of the Main Library.

According to the police report, a male suspect was intoxicated and had exceeded his allotted time for the public computers. When asked to leave by a library employee, the suspect responded by bumping the employee with his shoulder and grabbing him by the throat.

A witness’ footage of the incident was posted on Instagram and shows that the employee restrained the suspect after he attacked, de-escalating the situation until help arrived.

Many students praised the victim’s response to Craig on the app.

Library staff was smooth w that lowkey,” WWE called” and “That library worker lowkey chill af, always hooks me up w the best rentals” are some of the over 75 comments on the footage. 

University of Arizona Police Department reports indicate that the suspect was arrested and issued a 12-month Exclusionary Order. 

Suspect falls asleep mid-robbery

On Feb. 2, UAPD responded to a vehicle burglary that occurred at 6:30 a.m. in the Main Gate Garage. 

A Parking and Transportation employee discovered the suspect sleeping inside the vehicle he was burglarizing with his legs hanging out. The employee woke the suspect up, and the suspect fled down the stairs towards Euclid Avenue, allegedly stealing bags, umbrellas and some change.

The suspect was described as wearing a blue hoodie and dirty blue jeans with a scraggly beard, thin build and approximately in his late 30’s-mid 40’s. 

UAPD matched the description of the suspect to a suspect the department arrested the day prior for trespassing and criminal nuisance. The case was forwarded to detectives to complete a six-pack line up with the witness

Statue heist 

On Feb. 3 at approximately 3:14 a.m., UAPD responded to a burglary in progress at Alpha Gamma Rho. 

According to the police report, the suspects, one of whom was a male UA student and the other an unaffiliated male, climbed over a locked fence, broke the lock to a statue on the lawn and stole it. UAPD arrived on the scene and the suspects were apprehended. 

Further investigation revealed probable cause for third degree burglary and the suspects were arrested and transported to Pima County Jail, according to police reports.

A Dean of Students referral was completed for the UA student. 

Protest and allegations against fraternities

On Feb. 5, UAPD received an anonymous phone call requesting police presence to maintain peace at a peaceful protest involving 10-20 people outside the Zeta Psi fraternity house from 4-6 p.m.

According to the police report, the protesters claimed that the previous night, between 7-8 p.m., five to seven fraternity members had allegedly grabbed a 15-year-old without provocation, removing his pants and shoes and sending him away with bloodied knees. 

UAPD officers responded to the house’s request in reference to protestors egging and shooting paintballs at the house. 

Upon arrival, over half of the protestors left. The remaining half of the protesters stated that it was the protestors who had left who had thrown items at the house, and the people remaining wanted to peacefully exercise their right to protest. Protestors were reportedly demanding the 15-year-old’s property back and a public apology from the fraternity. 

According to the police report, the Zeta Psi fraternity denied any wrongdoing, claiming that they did not have anyone’s property and the only incident they could recall from the night before was removing subjects from the house that they had alleged were trespassing. 

The report details that after a “brief, polite conversation with members of the fraternity,” the remaining protestors dispersed without further incident. 

UAPD confirmed that officers and a detective have conducted follow-up work on this case. However, no victim or any parents or guardians of the victim, who was reportedly a minor, have come forward.

On Feb. 9, UAPD responded to a report of an assault outside of the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity house. 

The caller who reported the alleged assault claimed to have witnessed approximately 20 college-aged men hitting and punching another college-aged man. The reporting party also alleged that one of the men picked up the victim and threw him into the street. The caller claimed that the victim’s friends then came to his aid and helped him out of the street, walking away westbound. 

The police report noted that a Student Code of Conduct referral for Zeta Beta Tau was completed. 

UAPD confirmed that when officers arrived on the scene, there was no evidence of any disturbance. Because officers were unable to verify any of the caller’s claims, the case is currently closed.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X