Arizona extends coaching contract for Tommy Lloyd through 2028-2029 season

Jackie Cabrera
Arizona men’s basketball head coach Tommy Lloyd gets introduced at the Red and Blue game on Sept. 29 in McKale Center. Lloyd was named head coach in April of 2021.

On Monday, Feb. 19, the University of Arizona announced a five-year contract extension with Arizona men’s basketball head coach Tommy Lloyd. The extension ensures that Lloyd will continue to lead the Wildcats until at least 2029, pending approval by the Arizona Board of Regents.

“I am humbled and grateful to finalize a long-term extension here at the University of Arizona,” Lloyd said. “I am energized by the support of our fans, our players, our alumni, [President Dr. Robert C. Robbins,] the Board of Regents and our donors.”

Under the terms of the agreement, Lloyd’s compensation, which includes base salary, additional duties pay and annual funding from Nike and Learfield agreements, will be entirely funded by donor money over the five-year extension period. His compensation will range from $5.25 million in the first year to $6 million in the final year.

Since joining the team in 2021, Lloyd has led Arizona to an impressive 81-16 overall record, with a 43-11 record in Pac-12 Conference play. He quickly made his mark with a record-breaking 61 wins in his first two seasons, leading the Wildcats to consecutive Pac-12 Tournament titles in 2022 and 2023.

In his debut season, Lloyd led Arizona to a 33-4 overall record and an 18-2 record in Pac-12 play, securing the conference’s regular-season title, Pac-12 Championship and a Sweet Sixteen appearance. He also swept the National Coach of the Year awards (AP, NABC, USBWA) and earned Pac-12 Coach of the Year honors.

Under Lloyd’s guidance, Arizona has remained in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll for 54 consecutive weeks, including 42 weeks in the top 10. Earlier this season, Lloyd guided Arizona basketball to the No. 1 overall ranking in the AP poll for the first time in ten years.

“Tommy has proven to be a championship coach, an exceptional leader and recruiter, and has reinvigorated Wildcat pride by transforming the University of Arizona men’s basketball program back into one of the top programs in the nation,” Robbins said. “We are thrilled that he will remain a Wildcat for years to come.”

McKale Center has become a feared and revered venue in college basketball, cementing its status as an impregnable fortress under Lloyd. Boasting a staggering 95% win rate at home over the past three seasons, Lloyd has established a culture of excellence in the desert. In his first two seasons, the Wildcats led the Pac-12 in attendance and are on track for a third, potentially marking 40 straight years atop the conference.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X