No. 21 Arizona softball drops two of three against No. 7 Stanford

Arizona+centerfielder+Regan+Shockey+slides+to+catch+a+ball+in+a+game+against+University+of+Washington+on+March+17+at+Rita+Hillenbrand+Stadium.+The+Wildcats+beat+No.+8+ranked+Washington+team+2-0.+
Nathanial Stenchever
Arizona centerfielder Regan Shockey slides to catch a ball in a game against University of Washington on March 17 at Rita Hillenbrand Stadium. The Wildcats beat No. 8 ranked Washington team 2-0.

The No. 21 Arizona softball team dropped two of its three games against No. 7 Stanford University over the weekend, between March 28 and 30, at Rita Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium

Arizona (22-11-1, 5-7 Pac-12) came into the series against Stanford on a two-game losing streak after back-to-back losses against the University of California, Berkeley. The Wildcats lost the first and last games of the series against Stanford 9-0 and 7-0 but won the second game of the series 11-3. 

Day 1: Thursday, March 28

Game 1: No. 21 Arizona vs. No. 7 Stanford at 6 p.m.

Arizona sent out veteran pitcher Miranda Stoddard as the Wildcats’ starting pitcher for game one. The Wildcat defense made quick work of the Stanford hitters in the first inning, giving up only one hit. However, Arizona’s offense stranded two base runners and could not capitalize on a hit and walk. Not taking advantage of those missed opportunities made a big difference as the Stanford offense in the top of the third inning scored 5 runs on five hits, taking the early lead over the Wildcats. Arizona had no response, collecting only three hits in the game. The Wildcats would lose after only five innings due to an 8-run mercy rule, falling to Stanford 9-0

Day 2: Friday, March 29

Game 2: No. 21 Arizona vs. No. 7 Stanford at 6 p.m.

After the big loss the night before, Arizona sent out its rising left-hander Aissa Silva. The Wildcats wasted no time, scoring 2 runs in the bottom of the first inning after designated hitter Olivia DiNardo hit a 2-run homer. Arizona scored 6 more runs in the second, forcing a Stanford pitching change. DiNardo had her second hit of the game, this time a two-run double to left center field. Stanford would finally score in the third inning after hitting a 2-run homer. However, the Wildcats still led 8-2. Arizona continued the bombardment, scoring 2 more runs in the bottom of the fourth inning after a triple from Tayler Biehl down the right-field line. As the Wildcats threatened a mercy-rule win,

Stanford scored a run in the top of the fifth, forcing the Wildcats to bat in the bottom of the inning. At the top of the lineup, Dakota Kennedy stepped into the batter’s box. On the second pitch of the at-bat, she hit a bomb over the left field fence, winning the game for the Wildcats 11-3.

Day 3: Saturday, March 30

Game 3: No. 21 Arizona vs. No. 7 Stanford at 7 p.m.

After a great showing in game two, Arizona elected to send out Silva again as the starting pitcher for game three. However, Silva’s second time around would not be the same as the first. Stanford scored 3 runs in the top of the first inning and another run in the second inning, following a solo home run. Stoddard would replace Silva in the second, who would pitch her way out of the inning. With no response from the Arizona offense, Stanford scored 2 more runs, extending its lead to 6-0 over the Wildcats in the fifth inning. Arizona made another pitching change at the top of the sixth, putting in Ali Blanchard to pitch, hoping to slow down the Stanford offense. Stanford scored one more time in the top of the seventh. Arizona failed to score in the bottom of the seventh, dropping its 11th game of the season 7-0.

Looking ahead:

Arizona will now travel to Salt Lake City, Utah, between April 5 and 7 to play the University of Utah. The Utes are ranked second to last in the Pac-12 Conference, with a record of 19-15 and 3-9 in conference play.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X