No. 9 Arizona men’s tennis defeats No. 21 ASU for the fourth straight time

Jay Corella
Arizona tennis players celebrate in a circle after defeating Arizona State 4-2 at Robson Tennis Center on April 7. The hard-fought victory came down to a singles match between Gustaf Strom and Max McKennon.

The No. 9 Arizona men’s tennis team faced off against its in-state rival, No. 21 ASU, on Sunday, April 7, at 2 p.m. at LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. The Wildcats, seeking to bounce back after a disappointing 4-3 loss the previous Sunday to No. 33 Stanford University, aimed to get back into the win column and achieve their fourth straight victory over the Sun Devils.

Arizona (18-3, 4-1 in Pac-12) held off ASU (13-8, 1-2 in Pac-12) on Sunday afternoon, winning 4-2 to secure its fourth conference victory and fourth victory over its in-state rival, getting back into form after a split in last week’s matches.

No. 9 Arizona vs. No. 21 ASU– Sunday, April 7, 2 p.m. 

Arizona entered into this highly anticipated match against ASU ready to take care of business and maintain their winning streak against the Sun Devils. As the match progressed, the intensity mounted, but the Wildcats showed resilience when it mattered most, with different players stepping up at crucial moments to secure a 4-2 victory and extend their dominance over ASU.

In the doubles matches, Arizona quickly jumped out to an early lead, showcasing their skill and pristine teamwork. Despite ASU’s impressive play, Arizona managed to secure the doubles point, setting the stage for a strong start to the match. Notably, Sasha Rozin and Gustaf Strom delivered a decisive 6-2 victory on court three, while the duo of No. 17 Colton Smith and Jay Friend clinched a nail-biting tiebreaker on court one, ultimately sealing the doubles point for Arizona.

Entering the singles matches with a 1-point advantage, Arizona wasted no time in building off their earlier momentum. Led by standout performances from Herman Hoeyeraal, Casper Christensen and Strom, the Wildcats maintained their composure despite fierce opposition from ASU. Hoeyeraal’s victory over Roi Ginat on court four set the tone for the Wildcats, while Christensen and Strom secured crucial wins to give Arizona a firm advantage in the match. However, No. 14 Smith suffered a straight-set defeat on court one against No. 8 Murphy Cassone of ASU. Despite this setback, the Wildcats remained unfazed, with Strom’s gritty performance on court three ultimately clinching the victory for Arizona, marking their fourth consecutive win over ASU and solidifying their position as the second-place team in the Pac-12 Conference.

Looking ahead: 

The Wildcats play their final home game of the season next Sunday, April 14, at 1 p.m. Arizona will face the University of Utah before heading on a two-game road trip as the Wildcats approach the end of their regular season.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X