Arizona softball takes two of three games against Utah on the road

Arizona+softballs+Sophomore+Olivia+DiNardo+touches+home+plate+while+celebrating+a+home+run+with+her+teammates+on+Feb.+10+at+Mike+Candrea+Field+at+Rita+Hillenbrand+stadium+during+the+Candrea+Classic+tournament.+
Nathanial Stenchever
Arizona softball’s Sophomore Olivia DiNardo touches home plate while celebrating a home run with her teammates on Feb. 10 at Mike Candrea Field at Rita Hillenbrand stadium during the Candrea Classic tournament.

The Arizona softball team defeated the University of Utah in two out of the three games played from Friday, April 5, to Sunday, April 7.

After losing the first game to Utah 3-1, the Wildcats won the next two 10-8 and 7-4, extending their record to 24-12-1 and 7-8 in conference play.

Day 1: Friday, April 5

Game 1: Arizona vs. Utah at 9 a.m.

On Friday, April 5, Arizona played two games, one in the morning at 9 a.m. and one a couple of hours later at 12 p.m.

In the first game, Arizona sent out Miranda Stoddard as the team’s starting pitcher. Stoddard pitched four innings before being relieved by Aissa Silva in the middle of the fifth. As the teams battled for the first runs of the game, Utah struck first with two base hits that scored two runs in the fourth inning. Arizona’s Carlie Scupin, however, answered in the top of the fifth inning with a solo home run to center field, bringing the Wildcats within one. Utah struck again in the bottom of the fifth, scoring 1 more run. Utah was able to hold on to its lead for the last couple of innings as the Wildcats lost game one.

Day 1: Friday, April 5 

Game 2: Arizona vs. Utah at 11 a.m.

In the second game, Arizona stayed with Silva as its starting pitcher after she finished game one. Utah once again got the early jump on the Wildcats, scoring 1 run in the bottom of the first inning and hitting a solo home run in the bottom of the third. Arizona answered Utah’s offense in the top of the fourth, scoring 3 runs of its own and taking its first lead of the day. Utah, however, was unfazed by the Wildcats’ offense and forced the Wildcats to change pitchers to Ali Blanchard and then again to Stoddard as well as scoring 4 more runs, now leading the Wildcats 6-3.

In the top of the sixth inning, Scupin, with two runners on base, hit her second home run of the day to left-center field, tying the game. With both teams scoring 2 runs in the seventh inning, the Wildcats would be forced to try to finish on top in yet another extra-inning game. In the top of the eighth, Scupin got her 41st RBI of the season, helping the Wildcats to lead by 2 runs going into the bottom of the inning. The Wildcats brought out Silva to close out the game in the eighth, where she allowed no runs on no hits.

Day 2: Sunday, April 7 

Game 3: Arizona vs. Utah at 11 a.m.

With the series split, it would all come down to the final game between Arizona and Utah on Sunday, April 7.

Arizona sent out Silva as the starting pitcher again. Utah once again jumped out to the early lead, scoring 1 run in the first and second innings and then 2 runs in the third. The Wildcat offense found its groove in the fifth inning after the first three innings only saw three batters each. After scoring 2 runs, the Wildcats loaded the bases with senior Allie Skaggs coming to the plate. On the third pitch of the at-bat, Skaggs launched a rocket to center field, hitting a grand slam, helping the Wildcats to overtake Utah 6-4. Stoddard closed out the game for the Wildcats and in the top of the sixth inning, Arizona would score again securing the win of the game and overall series.

Looking ahead: 

Arizona now travels to New Mexico State University to play a doubleheader on Tuesday, April 9, in New Mexico.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X