Police Beat 6: Offenders outrageously miss library etiquette

The+Daily+Wildcats+police+beat+brings+students+up+to+speed+on+campus+crime+and+ways+to+stay+safe+at+the+University+of+Arizona.+
Maddie French
The Daily Wildcat’s police beat brings students up to speed on campus crime and ways to stay safe at the University of Arizona.

As the semester continues, countless hours have been dedicated to study sessions within the walls of the University of Arizona Main Library — a hub for academic prowess and a common place for the student body to “lock in” and focus. Based on the University of Arizona Police Department’s recent caseload, some individuals have taken to engaging in activities far removed from scholarly pursuits. In this edition of Police Beat, the Daily Wildcat will get the community up to speed. 

Incidents of lewd conduct in the Main Library

On March 20 at 1:02 p.m., UAPD responded to a report that an individual had put his cell phone under a men’s bathroom stall in the 4th floor men’s restroom and recorded a UA student while he used the restroom. The individual is unaffiliated with the university.

A witness obtained a description, photo and license plate of the suspect as he left the library. 

UAPD officers responded to the individual’s residence, where he was detained and questioned. Officers were able to verify the victim’s claims, and the suspect was booked into Pima County Jail. The individual was also issued a 12-month exclusionary order from all UA property

On March 24 at 9:07 p.m., UAPD officers responded to a call from the library that a male was exposing himself in study room B319. 

Two female victims reported that they saw the suspect — described as a tall, black male wearing a purple hoodie and yellow Durag — engaged in masturbation with the study room door open. The victims indicated that they had clearly seen the suspect’s genitalia. 

When officers arrived on the scene, they could not locate the individual. Upon reviewing camera footage, the individual was seen to have left on foot northbound between the library and Bear Down Gym. 

Authorities provided the victims with resources. At the time of the report, nothing of further evidentiary value has been located. 

Gun-related incidents

On March 21, the UAPD responded to a report that an unauthorized individual was in a library restroom outside of public hours. The individual was later identified and was found to not be a student at the university.

Upon searching the individual, officers discovered a .38 revolver handgun in one of his bags. 

The individual was arrested on charges of criminal trespassing and weapons misconduct and was issued a 12-month exclusionary order from UA property. The individual was then transported to Pima County Jail. 

On March 26, a UAPD officer was flagged down by cyclists near University Boulevard and Park Avenue. According to the case report, the cyclists told the officer that a white pickup truck had pointed a gun at them, and the truck was last seen going eastbound on Sixth Street from Park Avenue. 

Soon after, a safety aide located a vehicle that matched the cyclists’ description speeding on Sixth Street and National Championship Drive. 

A high-risk traffic stop was executed on the vehicle at Sixth Street and Wilson Avenue. Two individuals — later revealed to be under 21 — were detained and interviewed. 

Upon investigation, the passenger was found to be carrying a 9 mm handgun. The report also noted that there was an unloaded AK 47 style 9 mm rifle under the rear passenger seat. 

The individuals claimed that an altercation had taken place near campus. However, their accounts could not be verified due to the absence of any reporting parties or victims of the alleged incident.

The driver was found to have an active misdemeanor warrant issued by UAPD for weapons misconduct and another for minor in possession

The driver was arrested for the warrant and a misdemeanor count of weapons misconduct for concealing a firearm in a vehicle while under the age of 21. The passenger was released to family. 

Villa del Puente Hall Resident Robbed in his Sleep 

On March 29, UAPD investigated a burglary at Villa del Puente Hall. The victim had left his dorm room unlocked, and a backpack containing their laptop, prescription eyeglasses, chargers, calculator and miscellaneous notebooks was stolen from his room while he slept. 

The locate feature on the student’s laptop indicated that it was still in the building. The laptop, calculator and notebooks were found abandoned in a common-use restroom. 

The residents of a nearby room reported seeing a female of undetermined age in the area around 4 a.m.. The female reportedly entered the restroom and tried the handle to their locked door. However, a suspect was not formally identified because there were no additional witnesses or cameras.  

The victim of the burglary was cautioned against the safety risks to both himself and his belongings for leaving his room unlocked while asleep. According to the report, he chose to waive his victim rights, and there is no further investigative action being pursued at this time. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X