No. 16 Arizona baseball gets revenge, dominates New Mexico State 12-2

Danielle Main
Number 33, Maddox Mihalakis running in home at the bottom of the third giving the wildcats a lead off of 5 during game against Washington State at Hi-Corbett Field April 21st. Wildcats taking the win with a walk-off, final score 7-6.

After sweeping Washington State University in a three-game series last weekend, the No. 16 Arizona baseball team traveled to Las Cruces, New Mexico, to take on New Mexico State University. In a commanding performance, Arizona dominated New Mexico State, winning 12-2, and ended the game in the seventh inning due to the run-rule. The Wildcats were able to get their revenge, as they had faced off against the Aggies earlier in the season and lost 9-12.

Right-hander Raul Garayzar got the start for Arizona, pitching a solid inning and setting the tone for what turned out to be a bullpen effort. Freshman right-hander Bryce McKnight earned his first career win, delivering a scoreless inning of relief, followed by righty Matthew Martinez, who also kept the Aggies off the scoreboard. The Aggies’ 2 runs were conceded by Wildcat pitcher Jaeden Swanberg, who gave up a 2-run home run. Right-hander Casey Hintz sealed the victory for Arizona, shutting down the Aggies in the bottom half of the inning to invoke the mercy rule and earn the save.

The Wildcats showcased their offensive prowess with an impressive display of hitting, amassing 16 hits and launching 3 home runs throughout the day. The scoring was kicked off in the top of the third inning with a monster 5-run inning. The inning was highlighted by a Mason White 3-run home run and an RBI double by Garen Caulfield.

The following inning, the Wildcats scored again courtesy of a throwing error by the Aggies. White was able to score on the play after getting on base with a base hit.

In the top of the seventh inning, Maddox Mihalakis added on to the scoring, launching Arizona’s second 3-run homer of the game. Later in the inning, Tommy Splaine sealed the win for the Wildcats by hitting a 2-run home run.

For the Aggies, left-handed pitcher Connor Wylde showed promise in his second start, allowing only one hit over two innings and striking out two Wildcats. However, the Wildcats surged ahead in the third inning when the Aggies inserted Brady Baltus, who picked up his first loss of the season.

Ultimately, the Wildcats’ dominant performance secured the win, showcasing their offensive firepower and depth on the mound. Getting revenge against the Aggies was important for Arizona, as its previous loss to them in March was one of its worst performances of the season.

Looking ahead:

Arizona baseball will play a three-game conference series against the University of Washington on April 26-28 at Husky Ballpark in Seattle, Washington.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X