No. 18 Arizona softball outlasts GCU 3-2

Mason Kumet
Senior Blaise Biringer watches the ASU batter in her final home game of her career at Rita Hillenbrad Stadium on April 21. Biringer was recruited from Cienega High School in Tucson.

The No. 18 Arizona softball team took down Grand Canyon University on Tuesday, April 30, at Rita Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium in Tucson. The Wildcats (33-15-1) defeated the Antelopes 3-2 to wrap up the regular season.

Dakota Kennedy had a terrific night on offense, going 4-4 at the plate with 2 home runs and two RBIs. The Sacramento native put the Wildcats ahead after launching a home run in the bottom of the first. 

In the same inning, freshman Regan Shockey hit a sharp single to third base, swiftly followed by an impressive stolen base to secure scoring position. Senior Carlie Scupin then singled to left-center, followed by a walk by sophomore Olivia DiNardo, loading the bases. With the bases loaded, senior Blaise Biringer grounded out into a fielder’s choice, scoring Shockey to make the Wildcats’ second run, increasing the lead to 2-0.

GCU scored its first and second runs of the game in the third and fourth innings, following a sac fly in the third and a solo homer in the fourth. The teams went back and forth as the game was tied in the fourth inning (2-2), but not for long, as Kennedy hit her second homer of the game, giving the Wildcats the lead. 

Kennedy has shown incredible prowess throughout the season. She started with the Preseason All-Pac-12 honor and has continued to deliver for her team all season. 

Both teams had powerhouse pitchers on the mound, as both sides played well defensively. Arizona’s Miranda Stoddard started strong, delivering two scoreless innings while allowing only three hits. Freshman Brooke Mannon contributed to the win with just a brief one-inning appearance, allowing just one hit. 

Sophomore Aissa Silva pitched a dominant five innings, striking out seven batters and allowing only 1 run. In the top of the seventh inning, Silva struck out three consecutive batters with the bases loaded, halting a last-minute rally from GCU.  Silva took home the win and ended the regular season with a 21-4 win-loss record

Looking ahead:

The Wildcats head to this year’s Pac-12 Softball Tournament from May 8 to May 11 at Boyd & Jill Smith Family Stadium hosted by Stanford University. The seeding for the tournament will be announced following the last weekend of conference play.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X